M Ultralight Three-Season Down Jackets State of the Market Report 2010 Part 2
by Will Rietveld and Janet Reichl
An online subscription ("Premium Membership") is required to view this article.
Not yet a Premium Member? Subscribe now.
Already a Premium Member? Please login using the form to the right.
Not ready to become a member, but need the article? Buy access to just this article.
This State-of-the-Market report on ultralight three-season down jackets is divided into three parts:
- Part 1 presents an overview and state-of-the-art analysis of these versatile jackets.
- Part 2 (this article) focuses on seriously lightweight jackets – those that provide the most warmth for their weight and are best suited for ultralight backpacking and other pursuits where minimal weight and a high warmth-to-weight ratio are top priorities.
- Part 3 focuses on multi-purpose three-season down jackets - those that balance light weight, warmth, and features to make them as versatile as possible so they appeal to a wider range of people and activities.
This State-of-the-Market Report on ultralight down jackets is the last of three coordinated articles reviewing the insulated components of an ultralight sleeping system, consisting of an ultralight three-season down mummy bag, down pants, and a three-season down jacket.
The complete set of articles in this series is:
- Ultralight Three-Season Down Mummy-Style Sleeping Bags: State of the Market Report 2010
- Ultralight Down Pants: Light, Warm, and Versatile
- Ultralight Three-Season Down Jackets State of the Market Report 2010 – Part 1: Overview and State-of-the-Art Analysis
- Ultralight Three-Season Down Jackets State of the Market Report 2010 – Part 2: Seriously Lightweight Down Jackets (this article)
- Ultralight Three-Season Down Jackets State of the Market Report 2010 – Part 3: Multi-Purpose Three-Season Down Jackets
- What's a Seriously Lightweight Down Jacket?
- Selection Criteria
- The Jackets
- Comparative Specifications - Manufacturer Data
- Comparative Specifications - Measured and Calculated Data
- Specifications Discussion
- Jacket Warmth
- Evaluation Criteria
- Ratings for Seriously Lightweight Down Jackets
- Standouts Based on Functional Design
- Standouts Based on Individual Situations and Needs
- Backpacking Light Ratings
- Overview of Individual Jackets
- Future Prognosis
- Preview of Part 3: Multi-Purpose Three-Season Down Jackets
# WORDS: 8400
# PHOTOS: 24
Buy Access to This Article
If you do not want to subscribe and get access to all BPL articles, you may instead opt to buy this single article: "Ultralight Three-Season Down Jackets State of the Market Report 2010 Part 2"