|Manufacturer's specification: 1 lb 3 oz (540 g)|
|Manufacturer's specification: 20" x 72" (51 x 183 cm)|
|Manufacturer's specification: 0.75" (2 cm)|
|Manufacturer's specification: 3.1|
I chose the venerable Ridge Rest Deluxe for several reasons:
- It is rigid enough to also serve as Bob's pack frame when rolled up inside the pack.
- It is a single-component, fuss-free piece that doesn't require complex manipulation with cold hands.
- It doesn't need any special care against puncture from sharp objects - a big consideration in Bob's case.
- At 72" (183 cm) long it will keep all of Bob's legs off the snow - a significant benefit in the snow.
- Its claimed R-3.1 insulation value will provide adequate warmth for sleeping on snow down to zero degrees when combined with an appropriate sleeping bag and insulated clothing.
- The combination of length, thickness, R-value, weight and cost is very good compared to most of the competiton.