M STATE OF THE MARKET REPORT: LED Headlamps (2007)
by Rick Dreher
An online subscription (Annual or Lifetime) is required to view this article.
Not yet a Premium Member? Subscribe now.
Already a Premium Member? Please login using the form to the right.
Not ready to become a member, but need the article? Buy access to just this article.
Has it really been over three years?
When last we summarized LED headlamps the market was just hitting its stride, with several companies releasing mass-produced, affordable lights in a variety of configurations with an array of capabilities. While the groundwork for the future had been laid, what remained was the ugly truth about most of these early efforts: LEDs weren't yet ready to replace high-performance incandescent lights for very demanding conditions, high-power incandescent's great weight and fleeting battery life notwithstanding.
- Technological Strides
- Who's Who; What's What?
- Beam - Wide, Narrow or Both?
- Intensity - Bright, Really Bright or Scorching?
- Battery Life - Brief or Long-Term?
- Batteries - AA, AAA or Button?
- Battery Pack - Integrated or Separate? Plus Swapping Cells
- Switchgear - Single or Dual-button? Ease of use?
- Straps - Wrap, Bucket, Hybrid?
- Current Regulation?
- About Those Batteries
- LED Headlamp Specifications
- TABLE: Headlamp Facts and Features
- LED Headlamp Review Criteria
- Battery Life
- Beam Quality
- Fit and Comfort
- Battery Change Ease
- LED Headlamp Ratings Summary
- TABLE: LED Headlamp Ratings Summary
- Our List of Bests
- Sizing Up the Manufacturers
- Matching the Tool to the Task
- Designing Our Dreamlight
- What's Next?
- Backpacking Light Staff Choices
- Ryan Jordan
- Mike Martin
- Carol Crooker
- Will Rietveld
- Don Wilson
- Roger Caffin
- LED Variability
- Lenses, Reflectors, Filters, Colored LEDs, Naked LEDs
- Flashlight Electronics - Control Schemes
- Linear Regulators
- Step-Down (Buck) Regulators
- Pulse-Width Modulation
- So What?
- Radio Frequency Interference
# WORDS: 7150
# PHOTOS: 16
# TABLES: 2
Buy Access to This Article
If you do not want to subscribe and get access to all BPL articles, you may instead opt to buy this single article: "STATE OF THE MARKET REPORT: LED Headlamps (2007)"