Rating: 5 / 5
Snow Peak LiteMax Stove
I bought a Snow Peak LiteMax this spring (2009) to replace my MSR Pocket Rocket and have been really happy with it, having used it for about 20 days now.
1. Weight - 1.9 oz vs 3.0 oz for a pocket rocket (and the pocket rocket container weighs 0.9 oz. if you use it)
2. Compactness – the lite max collapses into very small unit. I just keep it in the ziplock bag with my matches.
3. Stability – the pot supports are much wider apart than the Pocket Rocket giving a significantly more stable situation when a pot is on the stove. It is not designed for large pots.
4. Flame Control – I have been able get to a “simmer” temperature much more easily than with the pocket rocket. I haven’t done a scientific evaluation, but I always seemed to have problems burning food onto my pot with the pocket rocket, but haven’t had this issue with the LiteMax – the flame seems to be broader and the heat more dispersed.
1. This stove is significantly more expensive than the pocket rocket ($59.95 vs. $39.95 at REI), but I had a coupon and a gift card.
In spite of the extra cost, from my standpoint, the LiteMax is a much superior stove.