Rating: 5 / 5
This is, in my opinion, the first, cheapest, and most versatile piece of gear an aspiring ultralighter can ever own. Let me discuss some of the uses:
1. Heat blanket. Obvious.
2. Blanket for hot summer nights in place of sleeping bag/quilt. Good down to about 65 degrees with minimal clothing.
3. Relatively durable groundcloth for two. Perfect size.
4. Rain poncho. Put sheet bend tie-outs on the corners for more ease of use. Admittedly, not as convenient as a dedicated poncho.
5. Tarp. Kinda like cuben fiber, but 20 times cheaper. See here:
6. Emergency bivy. Sleep on one half, throw the other half over your bag/quilt if it starts to rain. OK, not too comfy, but it works.
7. Hammock "underquilt". It blocks wind. It traps and reflects some heat. You can toss your gear and stuff on the blanket to have it off the ground during the night. See these two photos:
8. Vapor barrier. Just wrap up in it inside your sleeping bag.
Talk about a lot of value for 6 bucks!