Rating: 4 / 5
I've gone back to using this pad after trying closed-cell foam pads only.
Things I like:
- It is fairly comfortable with 1.5" of foam. The comfort level for me rises dramatically between 1" and 1.5".
- Due to the increased thickness, I can leave it partially deflated for more comfort but still be warm.
- The head of the pad doesn't taper as much as some pads (like the POE Thermo 6), so you don't feel like you have to play a balancing act to keep your head on.
- The valve seems to be made of higher quality construction than some brands (like the ProLite series). It just seems more robust.
- The seams and fabric seem to be of a higher quality as well. I don't bring a repair kit when using this pad because it seems to be able to take a fair amount of abuse.
- It's reasonable priced, often lower than competing brands.
- It works well as a sturdy pack frame.
What I don't like so much:
- It's not that light. Without the stuff sack (don't need) it weighs 17.8 oz. This is my luxury item, so I justify bringing it.
- There are more comfortable alternatives (in my opinion) if you want to go with the blow-up-yourself tube-type pads (POE or BA).
I don't think I'd buy this pad again with options like the POE Thermo 6 which weighs two ounces less, but gives me more comfort. But as a pad by itself, it works great, it is plenty warm, and it is very durable.