Rating: 5 / 5
I've made two of these, both with a full #3 ykk molded tooth zipper and hood. the first was from 1.1 oz dwr, the second from 1.1 oz teflon dwr. I normally use the non-telfon due to its greater breathability. The pattern and directions make this a reasonable project for anyone with a bit of sewing experience (I'd recommend making some stuff sacks and the Liberty Ridge Pants or a tarp first). The pattern is great, and customizable to your needs - adding the full zip and hood was straightforward. I am continually impressed by the durability and utility of my LR windcoats. the green (non-teflon) has seen many miles of backpacking, dayhiking, trail running, and biking, and only has a few little holes from thorns - and that just adds to the breathability. It fits in a pocket or tied around my waist, and is usually the first piece of extra clothing to come. The hikes where I've brought just the raingear and not the LR shell, I've really been sorry. the pattern and finished product are excellent, and the savings is huge over commercial windcoats, especially when making the pattern again. after getting both the LR windcoat and windpants kits, I've made another pair of each (with hood) for 3 yards total of fabric, plus notions! that's about $40 for customized ultralight windgear with the fabric and features of your choice, plus the fun of making it and the freedom from commercial gear.