While we generally prefer a lightweight short gaiter for ultralight hiking, backpacking, and snowshoeing, when the snow gets deep a taller lightweight gaiter is in order. The Outdoor Research Cascadia Gaiter, made of Gore-Tex PacLite fabric, fills that need very well.
The Cascadia Gaiter weighs 6.9 ounces/pair (size L), which is 3.5 ounces lighter than OR’s popular Crocodile Gaiter.
The Cascadia Gaiter, in size Large is almost knee high and has a trim fit. It has a front full-height Velcro and snap closure to facilitate easy on and off. The bottom has an elastic band and underfoot Hypalon strap to secure it, and the top snugs with a webbing strap and buckle. Alternatively, once adjusted, the gaiter can easily be pulled on without messing with the Velcro and top closures.
We wore the Cascadia Gaiter while igloo building, snow hiking, snowshoeing, and snow camping. Will even wore them while ice fishing. They fit equally well over both low cut trail runners and full-height boots, and reliably sealed snow out. We also found that they stand up very well by themselves, rather than sliding down and bunching up
They add warmth in frigid weather, but don’t get too hot on warmer winter days. As expected, they are also very wind and waterproof.
We wore the Outdoor Research Cascadia Gaiter in a variety of conditions and activities where extra snow, wind, and cold protection was needed.
The only issue we encountered with the Cascadia Gaiter is the underfoot strap was barely long enough to go around a bulky boot such as the Kahtoola FlightBoot (shown) or a pak-type boot like the Baffin Outback. The strap made it, but it was a stretch.
Overall, we are impressed with the fit, quality, and versatility of the Outdoor Research Cascadia Gaiter.
Specifications and Features
- Manufacturer: Outdoor Research (www.orgear.com)
- Product: Cascadia Gaiter
- Sizes Available: S, M., L, XL
- Height: Size S is 15 in (38 cm) high, size L is 18 in (46 cm) high
- Fabric: 75 denier Gore-Tex PacLite upper, 8 oz/yd2 pack cloth at ankle
- Features: Full length front Velcro closure with snap, lace hook, underfoot Hypalon strap and buckle, elasticized bottom opening, webbing strap and buckle top closure
- Weight: Measured weight size S 6.0 oz/pair (170 g), size L 6.9 oz/pair (196 g); manufacturer specification size L 6.7 oz/pair (190 g)
- MSRP: $49