M Lightweight Shelter Roundup (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)
by Will Rietveld
An online subscription ("Premium Membership") is required to view this article.
Not yet a Premium Member? Subscribe now.
Already a Premium Member? Please login using the form to the right.
Not ready to become a member, but need the article? Buy access to just this article.
Many tents are touted to be "lightweight" and we even see the word "ultralight" in the name of a tent. There is a lot of misleading information out there, and a lot of heavier shelters (by our standards) are being hyped as "lightweight," and they win awards from other magazines. So, do you buy it? A five+ pound three-season two-person tent is not ultralight or even lightweight; it's not even close. There are literally hundreds of shelters on the market, but only a small fraction of them are truly lightweight and well suited for lightweight backpacking. Our interest is in that select few.
- Double-Wall Tent (Three-Season)
- Single-Wall Tent with Floor (Three-Season)
- Floorless Shelters
- New Double-Wall Tents
- Terra Nova's Laser Photon is Claimed to be the Lightest Double-Wall Tent in the World
- Believe it - New Ultralight Tents From MSR With Carbon Fiber Poles
- Big Sky Introduces the Convertible and Montana, Breaks the Three-Pound Barrier
- REI Updates the Quarter Dome
- Big Agnes Introduces a 2.25-Pound Double-Wall Solo Tent for 2009
- Integral Designs' New BugDome Converts the SilDome to a Double-Wall Two-Person Tent
- Nemo Introduces the Go-Go EX for Tall Hikers up to Ten Feet
- Sierra Designs Introduces Seventeen New Tents for Spring 2009
- Not to Be Outdone, The North Face Introduces Nineteen New Tents for Spring 2009
- Mountain Hardwear's Helion 2 Features Cutting Edge Lightweight Components
- New Single-Wall Tents
- The Gossamer Gear The One is as Light as a Tarp
- Tarptent Introduces the Sublite, a Nineteen-Ounce Solo Tyvek Tent
- New Six Moon Designs Refuge X Weighs just 17.5 Ounces, and It's a Two-Person Tent!
- Big Sky International Introduces a Lightweight Single-Wall Tent
- The New AntiGravityGear O2 Tent has Cross Ventilation and Loads of Floor Space
- The North Face Flight Series Tents
- Is the eVENT Tent Really Gone? The Code Name is Rab Summit Mountain Bivi
- Coming Soon: Backpacking Light's 2008 Single-Wall Tent State of the Market Report
# WORDS: 4590
# PHOTOS: 20
Buy Access to This Article
If you do not want to subscribe and get access to all BPL articles, you may instead opt to buy this single article: "Lightweight Shelter Roundup (Outdoor Retailer Summer Market 2008)"