The Jacks ‘R’ Better Old Rag Mtn is the bigger brother to the No Sniveler quilt that ranked first in the BackpackingLight Unconventional Sleep Systems Review Summary. Unlike the No Sniveler, the Old Rag Mtn focuses on efficient warmth when sleeping and doesn’t have the neck opening for wearing it as a poncho. It has a full 3.5 inches of loft from 800+ fill power down which is ½ more loft than the mfr claim (very nice!)
Available on its own or as a part of the Jacks ‘R’ Better Ultimate 4 Season Hammock Quilt Set, the Old Rag Mtn is a very versatile quilt. With a hammock system, it can be used as a warm under quilt with the optional JRB Suspension System and has attachment points that are perfectly aligned for use with Hennessy A-Sym hammocks. It also has a foot box that is formed with Omnitape (imagine soft asexual Velcro) and ties to keep the Omnitape from opening. Drawcords at the foot and neck and generous width keep the Old Rag Mtn secure when using it as a top quilt in a hammock.
The Old Rag Mtn is a large quilt with a full 3.5 inches of loft.
For use on the ground, an adjustable cord run through the hammock attachments creates an adjustable variable-girth quilt. Set up this way, the Old Rag Mtn can be used on its own as a cold weather quilt or as an overbag to push a three season bag into the deep winter.
For my 6 foot 1 inch height, the long size is long enough to stretch to the end of my Hennessy Hyperlight Backpacker Asym hammock or to cover my head when used as a quilt or overbag.
Besides being usable in a hammock system, the Old Rag Mtn also makes an excellent quilt or overbag for ground sleeping.
Look for a full review of the Old Rag Mtn and the Jacks ‘R’ Better Ultimate 4 Season Hammock Quilt Set in late winter.
Features and Specifications
- Weight (long): 27.0 oz (765 g); mfr claimed 27 oz (765 g)
- Size (measured): 46 in x 81 in (117 cm x 206 cm); mfr claimed 48 in x 86 in (122 cm x 218 cm)
- Materials: 1.1 ounce rip-stop nylon with DWR treatment, no-see-um netting used in box baffles
- Insulation: 800+ fill power down
- Loft: 3.5 in of single layer loft (mfr claimed 3 in)
- Features: 3 under quilt attachment points, neck drawstring with dual sliders, foot drawstring with dual sliders, Omnitape foot box closure with ties for security
- Accessories: silnylon compression stuff sack: 1.3 oz (31 g) included, JRB Suspension System available for hammock under-quilt use: 1.1 oz (37 g) $9.95
- MSRP: $269.95 (Reg), $299.95 (Long)