Granite Gear will introduce a new 2000 cubic inch, 2 pound 2 ounce, panel loading Vapor Day Pack in early 2008. As the name implies, it will incorporate their Vapor frame and suspension, making it capable of carrying 30 pounds with comfort. The women’s version is called the Vapor Day Ki.
Front of the Vapor Day Ki (left) and backpanel of the Vapor Day (right)
In the crowded day pack field, this one really stands out because of its combination of suspension and features. The Vapor suspension consists of a high density polyethylene Vapor framesheet in combination with dual density foam backpanel, shoulder straps, and hipbelt. It simply oozes comfort. The shoulder straps are fixed, but the hipbelt is available in different sizes for an optimal fit.
The feature set provides virtually everything one would want or need: panel access with water-resistant zipper, stretch-woven side pockets, large zippered front pocket, small pocket on top with water-resistant zipper, front and side compression straps that allow attachment of extra gear, load lifters, sternum strap, and hydration sleeve with dual ports. The side compression straps can now be routed either over the side pockets for security, or under them to keep them from interfering with water bottles.
While the Vapor Day Pack may not be the lightest 2000 cubic inch (32 liter) pack available, it may well be the most comfortable. It’s big enough to serve as a large day pack, approach pack, or a weekender pack, and is especially suitable for hikers willing to carry a little extra weight in exchange for a lot of comfort. Needless to say, my first impressions of the Vapor Day Pack are very positive.
Bummer: no hipbelt pockets, but accessory pockets are available.
Specifications and Features
- Manufacturer: Granite Gear (www.granitegear.com)
- Product: Vapor Day Pack (men’s) and Vapor Day Ki Pack (women’s)
- Dimensions: Vapor Day in regular and long, Vapor Day Ki in regular and short
- Features: Panel access with water-resistant zipper, stretch-woven side pockets, large zippered front pocket, small pocket on top with water-resistant zipper, front and side compression straps that allow attachment of extra gear, load lifters, sternum strap, and hydration sleeve with dual ports.
- Fabrics: 210d and 70d Nylon Cordura body, stretch-woven pockets
- Weight: 2 pounds 2 ounces
- Volume: 2000 cu in (32 L)
- MSRP: $129