Should I go for simply an alcohol stove or a Caldera Cone?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: Esbit and Caldera on 11/25/2008 01:26:37 MST Print View

Reginald I am also surprised by your results, what size pot were you using? What size Esbit tablets were you using?

You may want to look at the comparison I did on my web page

Thanks

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Re: Measuring Cup on 11/25/2008 06:51:01 MST Print View

Tad, try your local pharmacist and ask if they have any measuring cups for you to have/purchase. I bought 4oz,and 8oz cough medicine bottles from mine here at home for less than a buck. They make great alcohol containers.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Re: Esbit and Caldera on 11/25/2008 06:54:30 MST Print View

Roger,

Nice write-up! Thanks for taking the time. Did you try the BPL in the Caldera?

Todd

Edited by funnymoney on 11/25/2008 06:55:05 MST.

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: Re: Re: Esbit and Caldera on 11/25/2008 11:46:07 MST Print View

Thanks Todd

I did not test the BPL with the Caldera,but I assume the heights are about the same though so results maybe similar. However, sounds like another trip is needed. Probably early January.

Roger

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: Re: Re: Esbit and Caldera on 11/25/2008 11:59:27 MST Print View

WOW, this IS and old thread. I have to agree with the others that using Esbit with the Gram Cracker stove and 'wings' is by far the most efficient of the fuel systems I've tried (other than cansiters). However, as Rand points out, many other Esbit stands are not as efficient, so that may be the difference.

Reginald Donaldson
(worth) - MLife

Locale: Wind River Range
Re: Re: Re: Measuring Cup on 11/25/2008 14:03:03 MST Print View

Rand,

I was using the FireLite Titaniium Esibit Wing Stove and Evernew .9L (short) pot.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: Measuring Cup on 11/25/2008 16:35:25 MST Print View

Rand, how much would the shipping be? I know you would have to put them in a box to protect them.

Donna, I spent one whole afternoon going to all the local pharmacy's asking if they had a cup like the one I got from Rand, no luck. A didn't ask about a cough syrup bottle- I make the rounds again.

Thanks to both of you.

Rand Lindsly
(randlindsly) - MLife

Locale: Yosemite
Re: Re: Re: Re: Measuring Cup on 11/29/2008 00:45:53 MST Print View

Tad:

Contact George Andrews at AntiGravityGear....he has all our stock and can give you an estimate on shipping. Can't imagine it would be more than a couple three dollars. You can find his email address on his website.

Rand