Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
lightest waterproof breathable available
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jon Rhoderick
(hotrhoddudeguy) - F - M

Locale: New England
lightest waterproof breathable available on 10/06/2007 12:35:54 MDT Print View

Does anyone know whats the lightest WP/B fabric available for MYOGers?

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
Re: lightest waterproof breathable available on 10/06/2007 13:21:37 MDT Print View

http://www.rainshield.com/p_multi.html -- this is about 5.5 oz for large. It is 2nd most breathable fabric there is, only beaten by eVent. Avoid the pants, they rip too easily. But for a jacket, I've used one for 2 hikes (one 9 days, one 15 days) and the jacket lasted the two entire hikes then I had to toss it, but it only costs $25-$29. If you get a tear, use the red vapor barrier tape you can get at home depot, it will stick over the tear and survive washings. Yes, eVent is more breathable, more durable, but considerably heavier.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: lightest waterproof breathable available on 10/06/2007 16:05:44 MDT Print View

> Does anyone know whats the lightest WP/B fabric available for MYOGers?
No such thing. It depends on:
a) the trade-off YOU want to make between waterproof and breathable
b) how many hundred metres you are willing to buy

Sigh!

Michael Demchak
(mikey) - F

Locale: new england
john your talking about fabrics right? on 10/06/2007 17:47:13 MDT Print View

John, you can try gortex paclite at owareusa.com that comes in at 2.1 oz/yard(however i just noticed theres a 75$ minimum order? i've orded from him in the past with no problems, might want to contact him) i think you can locate paclite from a couple of other places. (Seattle fabrics.com?)
mike!

Jason Shaffer
(PA_Jay) - F

Locale: on the move....
WP/B Fabrics at the BPL Shop on 10/07/2007 11:03:24 MDT Print View

Maybe it's time to revive this thread.

Either 2-Layer eVent, or 1.3oz/yd2 Pertex Quantum Endurance (the shell fabric from the Cocoon PRO line) would be awesome additions....