Forum Index » GEAR » Time to buy a windshirt--hooded or no hood?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Charles Thompson
(DemeraraDrinker) - F - M

Locale: Land of Toto
Time to buy a windshirt--hooded or no hood? on 10/01/2007 15:47:53 MDT Print View

I'm torn between the Montbell UL Wind Jacket (no hood, 2.6 oz) and Montbell UL Wind Parka (hooded, 3.3 oz).

First, kudos to this site--nowhere on the Montbell site does it say the Parka has a hood. You can kind of see one, but it's not clear. Someone in the forums here mentioned the hood. I guess that's what Montbell means by saying "full coverage".

Are there any other differences between these two wind shirts? I can't see any.

I already have a Marmot Precip with a hood for rain. So technically, I don't really need a hood. But for .7 oz, it would be nice to just put the hood up and leave the Precip in the pack for light rain. Also, I go on "patrols"--long walks--with my dog with a lumbar pack. A hooded windshirt would be nice to stuff in the lumbar pack because the Precip doesn't make these trips.

You might ask, do you wear a hat? Yes, I have an OR sunhat, but it is very light and I doubt it is water repellent. I guess I could treat it, but I don't know how well it would work.

So, you guys that carry wind AND water gear (I assume the big-time UL/SUL types use wind gear for both), do you carry two hoods? A hat and a hood?

Richard Matthews
(food) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Time to buy a windshirt--hooded or no hood? on 10/01/2007 16:12:46 MDT Print View

I use a GoLite Ether. At 3.5 oz. I carry it almost all the time.

Layered over a micro-fleece shirt most of the time it is all I need to ski/snowshoe.

I use the hood mostly for sleeping and layer it over a balaclava. If you sleep with a quilt you will appreciate the hood.

Jason Shaffer
(PA_Jay) - F

Locale: on the move....
i'd opt hooded on 10/01/2007 16:28:23 MDT Print View

A hooded windshirt requires fewer clothing adjustments while on the move, is warmer as part of practically any sleep system, and is generally more versatile. I appreciate a hoody regardless of raingear choices. I still take either a sun cap or a wool beanie. They do work nicely in winter, too. For snowshoeing I usually prefer my montane litespeed to a schoeller softshell.

For these benefits I just suffer the added weight of two hoods, valiantly when possible... :)

Edited by PA_Jay on 10/01/2007 16:39:37 MDT.

Joshua Gilbert
(joshcgil2) - F

Locale: Seattle
hooded windshirt on 10/01/2007 16:45:09 MDT Print View

those sul types you mentioned usually pair a hooded windshirt with a ponch tarp rather than simply wear a wind layer in the rain (they are fanatical certainly, but not enamored to hypothermia)

I have to second a hood. I find that my hooded windshirt is a lot more versatile than one without, in terms of water resistance and warmth.

I use an old golite bark. Not the lightest or the best designed (bad pocket placement) but it cost me $20, so I can't complain.

Edited by joshcgil2 on 10/01/2007 16:46:37 MDT.

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Hooded Windshirt on 10/01/2007 16:53:57 MDT Print View

For me I would use a Montane Lite Speed combined with a Cocoon UL 60 Hoody for warmth and function. If you are heading to colder climates then take a look at the Nunatak Skaha Plus.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Hoods in da woods on 10/01/2007 17:44:56 MDT Print View

I don't like hoods much, but they are handy and don't get lost or blown over the cliff edge. Visibilty is the biggest issue for me-- nothing is appreciated more than a well designed hood. I just love turning my head to see the inside of my hood rather than the danger headed my way. They don't add much weight to a windshirt and they do seal your neck as well as your head. Keeps the bugs and sun off too.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
Time to buy a windshirt--hooded [pic] on 10/01/2007 20:17:49 MDT Print View

Charles, IMO every shell should have a hood. For the small addition in weight it reduces heat loss, blocks blowing dust and rain. For example, last month I climbed to the summit of Fujisan in classic windshirt conditions; cool weather, light rain, and high winds using only a base layer and my Patagonia Houdini windshirt, zipped tight around my face. Without a hood I think I would have had to take out my rainshell to keep my head warm and dry. Incidently, a ball cap is great under the hood to block sun and rain.
Montbell is for the most part good stuff; I have many of their items; go with the parka.
classic windshirt conditions

Edited by Brett1234 on 10/01/2007 20:19:11 MDT.

Charles Thompson

OK, I'm leaning towards the parka on 10/02/2007 09:00:32 MDT Print View

The dimensions of the parka compared to the jacket are almost the same.

I bet the ball cap helps the hood turn with your head...I'll have to try that.

Charles Thompson

OK, I think I want a Patagonia Houdini Full-Zip instead on 10/02/2007 14:28:40 MDT Print View

There is a ton of positive feedback about this jacket on this site. It weighs a bit more (3.7 oz vs 3.3 oz for the MontBell Wind Parka), but I can't get over all the gushing feedback.

Plus, the Houdini is available from a lot more sites, and for a bigger discount (although it has a higher starting price).

Hmmm.

Rod Lawlor
(Rod_Lawlor) - MLife

Locale: Australia
Re: OK, I think I want a Patagonia Houdini Full-Zip instead on 10/02/2007 14:42:39 MDT Print View

Keep us posted on the discount on the Hoidini Charles.

A lot of us would snap them up if they were cheap enough.

Rod

(Or else, I've got a Marmot Ion if anyone wants to trade??) ;>)

Jon Rhoderick
(hotrhoddudeguy) - F - M

Locale: New England
Re: Re: OK, I think I want a Patagonia Houdini Full-Zip instead on 10/02/2007 17:14:09 MDT Print View

I think always always go for a hood if you can afford the extra money they are. Also they usually scrap together a full or at least large zip, the 1/4 size is pretty much only used for making the windshirt louder more than anything.