Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
The Pros and Cons of Backpacking Umbrellas
Display Avatars Sort By:
Van DeWald
(vwaldoguy)

Locale: Midwest
Great article! on 10/31/2013 22:45:32 MDT Print View

Really enjoyed that. Great points on using an umbrella.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: 3,834 Words + 31 Photos = One Epic Post about backpacking with an umbrella on 10/31/2013 23:37:04 MDT Print View

Hi Francis, good article and thank you for sharing it. I haven't really used an umbrella yet on any hikes per se, but i did use an umbrella at last years Burning Man, and it was nice to have that shade. Since it was a week of living mostly out of a backpack, and walking around A LOT, it was kind of like a backpacking trip.

Handled some fairly strong winds too at times. Would have been nice if it was a reflective type.

The Senz umbrellas look very interesting.

Francis Tapon
(ftapon) - MLife

Locale: Earth
Umbrellas work at Burning Man too on 11/01/2013 03:24:21 MDT Print View

Yeah, umbrellas were ideal in Burning Man! I would even use the umbrella while I was on my bike. :) I had a great time there:

http://francistapon.com/Travels/Burning-Man

I'm glad the last few commenters have enjoyed my Umbrella 2.0 article. :)

FT

Desert Dweller
(Drusilla)

Locale: Wild Wild West
Pro for umbrellas on 11/01/2013 08:00:42 MDT Print View

My husband and I were hiking in Arizona this summer at 9,000 feet when a summer monsoon came up very fast. We decided to stay low just before the trail met a high pass and wait it out as lightning started. I had my umbrella, he had his rain jacket and I had a windbreaker and rain skirt which I immediately put on before the deluge began and we sat down next to a large log for a windbreak together...then the temperature dropped 30 degrees and the hail started! The hail got to be marble sized, three inches deep and went on for 45 minutes! Without that umbrella life would have been miserable and bruising....it kept us both sheltered and reasonably dry until the hail quit...then we had to start climbing again to regain our warmth. When we reached the pass the sun came out and we dried our wet stuff and hiked on down to a lower campsite. I had been using it all summer for the hot sun while hiking and don't leave home without it.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Umbrellas and the destagnation of the cottage gear industry on 11/01/2013 10:40:58 MDT Print View

Drusilla said: ..The hail got to be marble sized, three inches deep and went on for 45 minutes! Without that umbrella life would have been miserable and bruising....it kept us both sheltered and reasonably dry until the hail quit. ..

I had just put a rain jacket on while hiking (running, actually) down from Albuquerque's Sandia's a few summers ago when I got hit in the head with a chunk of hails (explains a lot …haha). So maybe an umbrella would have kept that hail off of me but I'm also thinking that hail could shred an umbrella. Then again better an umbrella than one's own head. Could be a project, … a sun reflecting, yet waterproof ultralight umbrella that does not shred easily in a hailstorm.

just Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear)
Re: Umbrellas and the destagnation of the cottage gear industry on 11/01/2013 10:53:18 MDT Print View

Interesting project H.K., got me thinking! Materials that come to mind.

A layer of clear/milky UHMWPE film outside, with a layer of SOL emergency sandwhiched in the middle (reflective side facing up obviously), and a layer of Cuben on the bottom... sewed together. Carbon fiber shafts.

Not sure what to use for the ribs or structure part. Would probably want to do a modified Senz like design for better windproofness.