Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Best Trails/Sites for NJ?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Krause
(rmkrause)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Best Trails/Sites for NJ? on 09/29/2007 11:57:44 MDT Print View

Moving to New Jersey and wondering if anybody can provide good hiking websites for the area? Thanks.

christopher witter
(cwitter) - MLife

Locale: Mid Atlantic
NJ Wilderness... on 09/29/2007 18:46:19 MDT Print View

I am not sure about websites, but I spent a lot of time in NJ. I love the Pine Barrens (South Jersey), while flat it can be quite desolate and beautiful. The AT in Northern NJ (beware of the pesky black bears!) is nice with lots of side trails to create an infinite number of loops for a quick weekend. Round Valley in Central Jersey is really nice. There are a couple of nice places for top rope climbing. Lots of nice canoeing in the Pine Barrens. I can't think of anything else.

Christopher

Edited by cwitter on 09/30/2007 20:27:53 MDT.

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Locale: Delaware & Lehigh Valleys
NJ will surprise you! on 10/01/2007 08:40:43 MDT Print View

NJ is great, especially the AT. Northern NJ has infinite hiking possibilities. Rowing down the Upper Delaware is great too. From No. NJ, the Catskills aren't too far either.

Where are you moving to?

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

one more... on 10/01/2007 08:41:43 MDT Print View

Note that my avatar is from the Delaware Water Gap. If you're coming in the next 3 weeks, the fall colors are great from the top of the gap.

Ryan Krause
(rmkrause)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Florham Park on 10/04/2007 00:35:30 MDT Print View

I'll be relocating to Florham Park (near Madison and Morristown) end of this month. I was out this last weekend apartment hunting and caught some of the fall colors, I haven't seen it in years (right now live in AZ).

Joe Geib
(joegeib) - F

Get Out Yet? on 11/29/2007 09:39:31 MST Print View

Have any chance to get out into the woods yet?

Also, check the Appalachian Mtn Club (AMC) - www.outdoors.org - for outings in the area. In No NJ, you can either go on outings with the NY/No NJ chapter or the Delaware Valley chapter.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
PA on 11/29/2007 11:35:59 MST Print View

I live in Allentown, PA and work in Morristown, NJ. I agree that there is some nice hiking in northern NJ, but don't forget PA (AT, poconos, Pine Valley, Allegany Forest) and NY (AT, Catskill, Harriman State Park, Adirondacks), which aren't too far away.

Also, Campmor's retail store is in Paramus, NJ.

Jason Kurtz
(jasonkurtz) - F
your comments on 12/26/2007 14:01:16 MST Print View