Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
go light but bring O2; permanent damage from altitude
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
go light but bring O2; permanent damage from altitude on 09/26/2007 20:51:39 MDT Print View

This long term study reported in Scientific American shows strong evidence of permanent brain damage from ascending above 4,000m.

http://blog.sciam.com/index.php?title=into_thin_air_altitude_s_toll_on_the_bra&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1&ref=rss

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: go light but bring O2; permanent damage from altitude on 09/27/2007 11:42:33 MDT Print View

http://download.journals.elsevierhealth.com/pdfs/journals/0002-9343/PIIS0002934305006741.pdf

whole article of study they take their data from.

Comments: Their data seems odd. In 12 experienced climbers their before and after MRI's were not different. How can they then claim that altitude caused the abnormalities?

Edited by jshann on 09/27/2007 12:08:56 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: go light but bring O2; permanent damage from altitude on 10/02/2007 18:35:40 MDT Print View

Interesting article, Brett. Thanks for posting it, although about 30 years too late for me. That said, I find myself wondering where the boundary lies between brain damage that truly compromises an individual's cognitive and other brain driven functions, and brain damage that is detectable with advanced imaging but not manifested in decreased function. I say that because I, and a fair number of people I know personally, have spent considerable time above 4000 meters, both climbing(though not at an elite level) and backpacking. None of us have so far suffered any detectable loss of function other than the judgment required to stop going up high. I guess we all sort of have the attitude that nobody gets out of here alive anyway so.....

Jeremy Cleaveland
(jeremy11) - F

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus
permanant damage over 13,123 feet!! on 10/02/2007 19:14:57 MDT Print View

I'm screwed... I'm living at 9,200 feet in the San Juans and going over 13,000 feet regularly guiding backpacking and peak ascents and doing personal climbing and hiking.
I've always claimed that us mountain folks only keep going cause we have selective memories... now I can blame the altitude!

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
go light but bring O2; permanent damage from altitude on 10/02/2007 22:03:46 MDT Print View

Like the previous posters I also have not noticed any change in my own mental capabilities, nor my fellow amateur mountaineers. I am reminded of the saying: "Its difficult to comprehend how insane some people can be.. especially when you are insane." HAHAHAHA.. ;)
insanity

Edited by Brett1234 on 10/02/2007 22:04:28 MDT.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: go light but bring O2; permanent damage from altitude on 10/03/2007 17:28:50 MDT Print View

I've been thinking about this one a little more and just now it hit me right between the eyes; What about the Sherpas, Tibetans, or the Aymara and Quechua speakers of the Andes? Those groups seem to be doing just fine, especially the Sherpas who didn't suffer colonial oppression. I've seen the Sherpas up close and from my point of view, they're a real together bunch, very impressive indeed. Wouldn't it be interesting if the authors of the seminal report for this thread did another study, this time of the above mentioned groups. I, for one, would be most interested in the results.

Al Shaver
(Al_T.Tude) - F - M

Locale: High Sierra and CA Central Coast
Brain Damage on 03/02/2008 17:44:44 MST Print View

Argument For:
Me - I've been over 6k Meters a few times and I am often confused over which one is Obama and which is Osama (like Letterman I also tend to confuse Uma and Oprah).

Argument Against:
Reinhold Messner

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Brain Damage on 03/04/2008 11:23:18 MST Print View

Obama's the one with the beard, Al.
Another Confused 6K'er

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
wot prblem on 03/11/2008 09:19:12 MDT Print View

Eyem knot sur wot prblms we r takkn abot, eye seam fin.
Large dooses uv cafiend help bluree vishun n waits tyed two my hanz the innvolentarry tremurs.
Eye odored sum stuf on thee enternet fur my ewrecktill disfunshun that mite help.