Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Cheap Vapor Barriers
Display Avatars Sort By:
Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Cheap Vapor Barriers on 09/24/2007 11:58:23 MDT Print View

I have read a lot about vapor barriers on this site, and with the coming of the cold weather, would like to experiment with them. It seems that some people swear by them, while others dislike them...so, I am looking for a way to “test” to see if I like them, if I can regulate my temperature well, and if they actually work for me. Can I do this without spending money on permanent gear? Perhaps by making a “garbage bag” vest/shirt? Or using rainpants to sleep in? Maybe either of those ideas could be a permanent item? Or even a cheap purchased product?
Thanks,
Steve

Richard Matthews
(food) - F

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Cheap Vapor Barriers on 09/24/2007 13:54:40 MDT Print View

Do a search on PVC rain suits. Postage may cost more than the suit.

I think that is is a very good idea to check to see if they will work for you before you spend $$$$$$$.

Edited by food on 09/24/2007 14:18:32 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Cheap Vapor Barriers on 09/24/2007 15:41:21 MDT Print View

> I have read a lot about vapor barriers on this site, and with the coming of the cold weather, would like to experiment with them. It seems that some people swear by them, while others dislike them...so, I am looking for a way to “test” to see if I like them,

I think you need to be sleeping way sub-freezing for them to work properly.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
way sub-freezing? on 09/24/2007 19:16:30 MDT Print View

How "way" are we talking, Roger? My temp range would be about -5C to -20C for my winter backpacking...do I need to go colder for a VB to work? I would think a VB would work at any temp. Am I missing something?
I'm trying to lighten up my sleep system and hopefully use my down bag for extended periods.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: way sub-freezing with a VB? on 09/25/2007 04:52:25 MDT Print View

> How "way" are we talking, Roger? My temp range would be about -5C to -20C for my winter backpacking...do I need to go colder for a VB to work?
Well ... I really need a few others to chip in here with advice. The problem is that with any moderate weight SB, you are likely to be warm enough at -5 C, so a VB would make a fair bit of sweat inside.
To make a VB work nicely (I said 'nicely', not 'properly'), you really need to be sleeping pretty cool so you are not giving off much water vapour. I guess it depends on the SB you are using as to how cold it has to be for that to happen. And it is going to depend on what you ate for dinner, how much wind is blowing through your shelter, what you are wearing, the phase of the moon, and ...

Only thing to do is to try it out. Using a VB needs a bit of experience - which usually means doing the wrong thing a few times along the way :-) :-)