"Dry gas" in an alcohol stove?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Brian Lewis
(brianle) - F

Locale: Pacific NW
HEET in fuel line, what a concept! on 09/21/2007 11:26:16 MDT Print View

[slaps forehead repeatedly]

Pour a gasline antifreeze into the gas tank? What a concept!

Amazing how a person can look at the obvious and not see it; thanks for pointing that out!

I guess the question remains for denatured alcohol, however; I've been in that situation too, though this gives me another reason to prefer HEET when I've got a choice.

One similar situation was when I was hiking with a fellow who had a cannister stove (jet boil), plenty of fuel for it, and a great readiness to use it. I soon realized I would be carrying all my denatured alcohol for a week and never using it. Same problem --- pour it on the ground? Not so easy to burn it off in small increments in my stove.

Sam .
(samurai) - F

Locale: NEPA
Re: HEET in fuel line, what a concept! on 09/21/2007 16:51:14 MDT Print View

Brian asks "I guess the question remains for denatured alcohol, however; I've been in that situation too,"

SLX evaporates leaving no residue. It contains no ozone depleting chemicals. Deep breath here because I'm awaiting the controversy... pour it on a flat rock and allow it to evaporate. Wrap the used container in newspaper and dispose of it in a normal trash container.

I try to be as green as I can. Sometimes, we have to exercise our best options and move on. Ethanol would be a great fuel if not for the price and availabilty issues. If you can get Everclear, and it works for you, that's pretty close to THE "green" liquid fuel for backpacking.

YMMV and probably does.

Sam

edited to clarify
Changed THE "green" fuel to THE "green" liquid fuel, because most of us don't cook over wood.

Edited by samurai on 09/21/2007 19:26:10 MDT.