42.5gram (1.5oz) low profile remote canister stove
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

Locale: Pigeon House Mt from the Castle
42.5gram (1.5oz) low profile remote canister stove on 09/13/2007 17:56:04 MDT Print View

This is my latest stove, a SUL low profile side feed remote canister stove that is designed so it can be used with a windshield or the pot supports can be removed so it can fit under a Caldera cone.

The stove is still in its early development and is a concept that I have been working on for a few months the stove still needs some tuning.

The canister is a small Butane canister that fits into the Firelite 550 pot along with the stove. The total weight of the stove, canister (empty), windshield (end2end Trail Supply) and pot+bag is currently 136.8g (4.825oz), the canister can hold up to 30g (1.058oz) of fuel, which can boil 3liters of water. The pot sits 36mm (1.417”) off the ground on pot supports that are at 25mm (0.984”) radius and. The stove feet fold under the mixing tube so it can be packed away into a small bag.

The stove and valve with pot supports weigh in at 42.5g (1.5oz) and without the pot supports 39.4g (1.39oz).

Tony

Low profile stove
Low profile stove working
Complete stove
Stove unpacked
Stive working

Edited by tbeasley on 09/13/2007 18:04:50 MDT.

Jason Klass
(jasonklass) - F

Locale: Parker, CO
Stove on 09/13/2007 18:00:22 MDT Print View

WOW! Nice job Tony! What did you use for the fuel line? Also, that windscreen looks a little low. Have you tested it outside and is it effective?

Edited by jasonklass on 09/13/2007 18:01:06 MDT.

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

re: Stove on 09/13/2007 18:08:58 MDT Print View

Hi Jason,

"Have you tested it outside and is it effective"

Not yet I only finished it yesterday, I am going bush tomorrow and I plan to use it then. It still needs some tuning an some more weight reduction.

Tony

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: 42.5gram (1.5oz) low profile remote canister stove on 09/13/2007 19:03:25 MDT Print View

Nice looking flame color and pattern!
Can this stove be regulated, is there a valve?

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: 42.5gram (1.5oz) low profile remote canister stove on 09/13/2007 19:48:07 MDT Print View

Fantastic - Fantastic - Fantastic

Does it require priming to pre-heat the generator?

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

re:re: 42.5gram (1.5oz) low profile remote canister stove on 09/13/2007 19:49:51 MDT Print View

Hi Michael,

Yes I can regulate and I can also set the maximum flow.

Tony
small valve
Range of valves

Brian James
(bjamesd) - F

Locale: South Coast of BC
amazing on 09/13/2007 20:00:42 MDT Print View

Beautiful work!

I always wondered why there wasn't a similar stove on the market: a butane-burning equivalent to an alcohol burner, if you will. Low-powered, ultra-low weight, and useful with a real windscreen. Why on earth is the lightest remote canister stove still 6 ounces, and massively over-engineered?

Planning to go into production?

EDIT: PS if you build such a burner to work in a Caldera cone, may I humbly suggest that you omit feet altogether? If possible, just allow a titanium tent peg to be inserted straight through the center of the burner and into the ground, pinning it in place. No muss, no fuss, and probably more stable than any other stove!

Edited by bjamesd on 09/13/2007 20:04:46 MDT.

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

re; amazing on 09/13/2007 21:04:04 MDT Print View

Hi Brian,

“Planning to go into production?”

I wish I could, even if I can come up with a stove that could be produced cheaply, canister stoves have to be approved by the relevant organizations in each country, in Australia it can cost between $2000-$10000 let alone what the US gas authority would charge. I do not have these sorts of funds behind me, designing and making stoves will have to stay my hobby.

“just allow a titanium tent peg to be inserted straight through the center of the burner and into the ground, pinning it in place. No muss, no fuss, and probably more stable than any other stove!”

Yes it is possible to put a stake in the base and I have considered this option before. The Caldera option is actually fairly stable with no feet and the stove weighs 33.4g without them, the burner is 14.6g of that. The feet are not that heavy and would help to locate the burner in the middle of the base of the pot.

Tony

Caldera basic option

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: re: Stove on 09/13/2007 21:10:00 MDT Print View

Hi Tony

Brilliant! You sure have been busy while I was away. That is looking really good.

Cheers
Roger

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
re: low profile remote canister stove on 09/14/2007 08:40:02 MDT Print View

very, very nice... very cool too...

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

re:priming to pre-heat the generator on 09/14/2007 13:57:36 MDT Print View

Hi Dan,

"Does it require priming to pre-heat the generator?"

I have not tried it in cold conditions yet but as the generator tube is thin wall SS tubing it should not need priming.

Tony

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Re: re:priming to pre-heat the generator on 09/14/2007 14:26:07 MDT Print View

Hi Tony,

I thought the gnerator was the thin tube extending over the burner jets.

Why does the thin tube extend there? Is a pre-heat function?

In one of your photos you show the fuel canister in the upside down position. Is it feeding liquid through the tube to the burner?

Edited by zelph on 09/14/2007 14:32:14 MDT.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: re:priming to pre-heat the generator on 09/14/2007 15:24:25 MDT Print View

Hi Dan

Tony has gone walking this weekend, so I'll fill in for him.
> I thought the gnerator was the thin tube extending over the burner jets.
> Why does the thin tube extend there? Is a pre-heat function?
'Generator' because the first versions were used to generate kerosene vapour from liquid kero in the first Primus stoves. Yes, it is also called a pre-heat tube.

> In one of your photos you show the fuel canister in the upside down position. Is it feeding liquid through the tube to the burner?
Yep, that's the idea. Winter use: rather than freeze up the canister by evaporating the liquid inside it, you use the flame heat to vaporise the liquid gas at the burner. Just the same as a liquid fuel stove: it IS a liquid fuel stove.

Cheers

Andrew :-)
(terra) - F

Locale: Sydney, Australia.
Its worth a 3 hour drive... on 09/16/2007 17:39:43 MDT Print View

Tony,
Just say the word.

(I have been looking at Roger's stove set-up and holding off on a canister type but am eager to have a light alternative to alcohol/esbit for use on main range etc).

Edited by terra on 09/16/2007 17:51:55 MDT.

Brian James
(bjamesd) - F

Locale: South Coast of BC
Re: amazing on 09/16/2007 21:12:41 MDT Print View

erm, I didn't mean "officially" go into production. That involves regulation, royalties, certifications, and worst of all *taxes*!

I meant something decidedly more, well, low-key. Just to make your hobby self-sustaining ;)

Hikin' Jim
(hikin_jim) - MLife

Locale: Los Angeles, CA, USA
Re: 42.5gram (1.5oz) low profile remote canister stove on 01/23/2011 21:41:01 MST Print View

Wow. An astounding stove. And amazingly light. Would that I were a machinist.

HJ

Stuart R
(Scunnered) - F

Locale: Scotland
105g remote canister stove on 01/24/2011 02:46:52 MST Print View

Hey Jim
I am no machinist either, but with a little ingenuity it is still possible to make a 105g remote canister stove.

ziff house
(mrultralite) - F
looks on 01/24/2011 10:18:36 MST Print View

like a toolroom job to me, would go nicely w/ my new pack.

Tony Beasley
(tbeasley) - MLife

Re: Re: 42.5gram (1.5oz) low profile remote canister stove on 01/24/2011 18:03:15 MST Print View

Thanks for the comments.

This is the stove that I now use for solo use, Roger has done some CO testing on it and the CO readings are very good. It can use STD canister and Coleman Max canisters.

Tony

latest SUUL stove

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=16222&skip_to_post=122712#122712

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: 42.5gram (1.5oz) low profile remote canister stove on 01/24/2011 18:09:53 MST Print View

Tony, what is the largest size pot of water that would be practical to try to boil with that thing, assuming that a simple wind screen is used?

--B.G.--