November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Wide bivy: To buy, or not to buy...
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Gardner
(splproductions) - F - M

Locale: Salt Lake City, UT
Wide bivy: To buy, or not to buy... on 09/13/2007 12:55:35 MDT Print View

That is the question.

MLD's site says "Wide: For use with really wide bags or internal use of thick internal pads" on their Superlight Bivy.

I haven't used a bivy before. Would a JacksRBetter No Sniveller and a ProLite 3 count as a "wide bag" or a "thick pad"? Or are we talking 0 degree bags with 2" pads?

todd h
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: SE
Probably BUY on 09/13/2007 13:59:16 MDT Print View

FWIW, I've used my NS along w/a 20"wide Thermarest inside an Equinox bivy just perfectly. I'm 6'1" and appreciated the extra room, not to mention what you probably already know: that a bivy virtually eliminates drafts when using a quilt.

Still prefer a hammock, though:)

Ryan Gardner
(splproductions) - F - M

Hammock... on 09/13/2007 14:05:36 MDT Print View

Do they make hammocks that can hang from sagebrush yet? I go hiking in Southern Utah's red rock country alot and would love to try the hammock thing. lol!

Jaiden .
(jaiden) - F
Re: Hammock... on 09/13/2007 14:20:55 MDT Print View

Not sagebrush, of course, but from the rocks themselves, yes. all sorts of climbing hardware works for this.

Stuart Burke
(burkest) - F

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness
Re: Wide bivy: To buy, or not to buy... on 09/13/2007 14:58:03 MDT Print View

I have a wide superlight bivy that I use with a GG 1/8" thinlight, montbell UL 90 pad, and a REI 30 degree subkilo. I am glad that I went with the wide option. If the bivy was any narrower there would start to be loft compression in the foot area.

Fran├žois Lederer
(franzi68) - F
Bivy sizing on 09/13/2007 15:04:31 MDT Print View

MLD normal sizing have been reported to be slim.

Maybe ask Ron Bell directly.

I would suggest the wider option because it allows better breathability within the bag, allows to stock stuff inside the bag in case, and does not compress down.

Ryan Gardner
(splproductions) - F - M

Wide... on 09/13/2007 15:17:44 MDT Print View

I just placed my order - maybe I'll e-mail him and add the wide option.

Are there any disadvantages to having a roomier bivy (except the .4oz weight gain - I'll cut my toothbrush in half again to make that up)?

Jason Shaffer
(PA_Jay) - F

Locale: on the move....
I'd go wide on 09/13/2007 16:32:21 MDT Print View

I used to have a regular-width MLD bivy. I'd definitely recommend the wide option, and I'm a pretty skinny guy. With a 76-77" girth, I can sit up comfortably inside for eating, foot care, map juggling, etc. That makes for a much more livable arrangement.

The main disadvantages are the greater airspace to keep warm, and greater convective heat loss if you toss and turn alot - but neither are especially noticeable compared to a narrower cut, IME.

Edited by PA_Jay on 09/13/2007 16:41:08 MDT.