Forum Index » GEAR » Wide bivy: To buy, or not to buy...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Gardner
(splproductions) - F - M

Locale: Salt Lake City, UT
Wide bivy: To buy, or not to buy... on 09/13/2007 12:55:35 MDT Print View

That is the question.

MLD's site says "Wide: For use with really wide bags or internal use of thick internal pads" on their Superlight Bivy.

I haven't used a bivy before. Would a JacksRBetter No Sniveller and a ProLite 3 count as a "wide bag" or a "thick pad"? Or are we talking 0 degree bags with 2" pads?

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Probably BUY on 09/13/2007 13:59:16 MDT Print View

FWIW, I've used my NS along w/a 20"wide Thermarest inside an Equinox bivy just perfectly. I'm 6'1" and appreciated the extra room, not to mention what you probably already know: that a bivy virtually eliminates drafts when using a quilt.

Still prefer a hammock, though:)

Ryan Gardner
(splproductions) - F - M

Hammock... on 09/13/2007 14:05:36 MDT Print View

Do they make hammocks that can hang from sagebrush yet? I go hiking in Southern Utah's red rock country alot and would love to try the hammock thing. lol!

Jaiden .
(jaiden) - F
Re: Hammock... on 09/13/2007 14:20:55 MDT Print View

Not sagebrush, of course, but from the rocks themselves, yes. all sorts of climbing hardware works for this.

Stuart Burke
(burkest) - F

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness
Re: Wide bivy: To buy, or not to buy... on 09/13/2007 14:58:03 MDT Print View

Ryan,

I have a wide superlight bivy that I use with a GG 1/8" thinlight, montbell UL 90 pad, and a REI 30 degree subkilo. I am glad that I went with the wide option. If the bivy was any narrower there would start to be loft compression in the foot area.

Fran├žois Lederer
(franzi68) - F
Bivy sizing on 09/13/2007 15:04:31 MDT Print View

MLD normal sizing have been reported to be slim.

Maybe ask Ron Bell directly.

I would suggest the wider option because it allows better breathability within the bag, allows to stock stuff inside the bag in case, and does not compress down.

Ryan Gardner
(splproductions) - F - M

Wide... on 09/13/2007 15:17:44 MDT Print View

I just placed my order - maybe I'll e-mail him and add the wide option.

Are there any disadvantages to having a roomier bivy (except the .4oz weight gain - I'll cut my toothbrush in half again to make that up)?

Jason Shaffer
(PA_Jay) - F

Locale: on the move....
I'd go wide on 09/13/2007 16:32:21 MDT Print View

I used to have a regular-width MLD bivy. I'd definitely recommend the wide option, and I'm a pretty skinny guy. With a 76-77" girth, I can sit up comfortably inside for eating, foot care, map juggling, etc. That makes for a much more livable arrangement.

The main disadvantages are the greater airspace to keep warm, and greater convective heat loss if you toss and turn alot - but neither are especially noticeable compared to a narrower cut, IME.

Edited by PA_Jay on 09/13/2007 16:41:08 MDT.