How do you get tree sap out of merino wool?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Tim Cheek
(hikerfan4sure) - MLife
How do you get tree sap out of merino wool? on 09/09/2007 11:58:59 MDT Print View

Okay, I guess I really am a tree hugger because this has happened to me twice. I've got pine sap on my smartwool merino wool hoody.

How do I get it out?

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Re: How do you get tree sap out of merino wool? on 09/09/2007 12:36:52 MDT Print View

I used white gas in the field.

Diana L
(mysticmoose) - F

Locale: Great Lakes region
Re: How do you get tree sap out of merino wool? on 09/09/2007 13:04:56 MDT Print View

I'd try soaking it in isopropyl alcohol. It shouldn't hurt the dye, and it's what I use to get sap off my hands or feet.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Tree sap remover! on 09/09/2007 22:14:26 MDT Print View

After trying a lot of things I found that "GOO GONE" (used most often to remove label glue) it THE ticket fro removing sap from clothing. No stains, no mess. Just use it until the sap is dissolved then wash the garment as you normally would to remove the citrusy GOO GONE smell & liquid.

Eric

Edited by Danepacker on 09/14/2007 01:11:46 MDT.

John S.
(jshann) - F
a;lsdkjfs;aldkdfj on 09/10/2007 07:16:43 MDT Print View

WD-40

Don Montierth
(Chumango) - F

Locale: East TN
Mayo on 09/10/2007 15:53:52 MDT Print View

Try some mayonnaise or similar.

David King
(dking1005)

Locale: Olympic Peninsula
Re: How do you get tree sap out of merino wool? on 09/11/2007 15:21:26 MDT Print View

The alcohol gel used for hand sanitation works as well.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: How do you get tree sap out of merino wool? on 09/11/2007 15:31:07 MDT Print View

I am not sure how well this might work with American saps, but you may find that a light cooking oil also works well. Then you have to wash the oil out, but that is easy enough.

Bruce Hanat
(Carola) - MLife
Re: How do you get tree sap out of merino wool? on 09/19/2007 04:40:51 MDT Print View

Advise given to me by an "old and experienced" Scouter - apply insect repellent and then treat for the oily stain it will most likely leave and then wash as you normally would - it works on any material and your hands!

Edited by Carola on 09/19/2007 05:46:53 MDT.

Sharon Bingham
(cowboisgirl) - F - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Second vote for mayonnaise/oil on 09/19/2007 08:28:35 MDT Print View

I've used mayonnaise or vegetable oil on tree sap with great success - on dog fur, on leather.

I've never had to use it on clothing, so you may want to try a test area first, if possible. But it works wonders on other washable surfaces. You could probably use it safely and then use Shout or similar to get out the oil spot.

I had sap on a sweatshirt once, and just washing it without treatment got it out (hail the power of laundry detergent). But to be fair, it wasn't ground in at all, it had simply dripped on the surface and sat for a few days.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Goo Gone on 09/19/2007 14:44:12 MDT Print View

I'm tellin' ya, GOO GONE is still the LEAST toxic and fastest way to remove tree sap. Try it.

Eric

Matt Ahonen
(ahonenma) - F

Locale: Western MN
Goo Gone on 09/20/2007 11:58:05 MDT Print View

I am with Eric. I have used Goo Gone several times for sap and even caulking on a Gore-Tex jacket with no problems or stains.

Matt