Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Freestanding Monopod

Display Avatars Sort By:
Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Freestanding Monopod on 09/08/2007 17:12:12 MDT Print View

This is the FrancoPod. Your pole,one Ultrapod and a water bottle.
Franco
FrancoPod

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
Francopod on 09/09/2007 16:49:20 MDT Print View

Clever! What do you use to hold the pole to the bottle?

-Mark

Edited by markhurd on 09/09/2007 16:50:02 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

FrancoPod Plus on 09/09/2007 17:02:46 MDT Print View

That is just a piece of string of undetermined length.... (it's a spare guy line)
Here is another way of doing it. The bottle is not really needed for that type of backpack. A different solution (if you have no load stabilisers or tensioning strings at the front of the pack) would be to just wrap a rope around the pack.
This will work with heavier cameras.
It's the FrancoPod Plus ( new and improved but still under 2 oz)
FrancoFrancoPod Plus

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: FrancoPod Plus on 09/09/2007 17:40:17 MDT Print View

Isn't it hard to drink with all that stuff attached to the bottle? I suppose the camera gets a little beat up, too, when your using the pole for walking. :-)

-Mark

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Sub 2oz "tripod" on 09/10/2007 17:32:52 MDT Print View

Because I practice Leave No Trace, I don't like using those carbide tips , the camera does not mark the ground like they do.

To have a drink I just go inside, or for water there is a tap at the end of the fence. Very handy.
Franco

BTW I first used this attachment to take pictures inside a wombat tunnel (using the self-timer). So it is useful for low and high shots that are otherwise difficult or impossible. There is now a commercially made telescopic type stick that is sold for self portraits, those tourist shots of you and friends in front of a famous building.
FrancoPod close-up