November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
flying backpack as luggage
Display Avatars Sort By:
larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
flying backpack as luggage on 09/07/2007 12:34:13 MDT Print View

I'm flying a national airline to my destination but not returning to the same area. Normally I would put my pack and racks inside a protecitive duffel that I'd store at the airport locker or in a car but I'm going directly to the trailhead instead.
I could strip the pack of straps and/or carry on the hardware [dont' try to carry crampons on] or I could use one of the many real good ideas you folks come up with.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Get a FREE Protective Bag! on 09/07/2007 14:21:20 MDT Print View

This one is easy. United Airlines provides HUGE, extra heavy duty plastic bags FOR FREE. These bags will engulf even the biggest backpacks -- and protect pack straps from menacing baggage conveyor belts. I used them when flying -- and both pack and UL hiking poles came out completely unscathed.

Here in LAX -- and also at Denver International -- the bags (reams and reams of them) are actually placed out in the public area -- so you don't even have to ask -- just take what you need. I suspect other United terminals operate the same, but you might want to check ahead. Each bag weighs just 4-5 oz. -- so I would recommend taking two -- even though the bags can normally be reused.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
Thanks Benjamin on 09/09/2007 19:13:51 MDT Print View

Thanks Benjamin, as much as I hate just throwing something away, packrat 101,[I could keep this bag make raingear out of it or a packcover or fill it with helium and search for Steve Fossett] this seems like a good choice.