Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
flying backpack as luggage
Display Avatars Sort By:
larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
flying backpack as luggage on 09/07/2007 12:34:13 MDT Print View

I'm flying a national airline to my destination but not returning to the same area. Normally I would put my pack and racks inside a protecitive duffel that I'd store at the airport locker or in a car but I'm going directly to the trailhead instead.
I could strip the pack of straps and/or carry on the hardware [dont' try to carry crampons on] or I could use one of the many real good ideas you folks come up with.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Get a FREE Protective Bag! on 09/07/2007 14:21:20 MDT Print View

This one is easy. United Airlines provides HUGE, extra heavy duty plastic bags FOR FREE. These bags will engulf even the biggest backpacks -- and protect pack straps from menacing baggage conveyor belts. I used them when flying -- and both pack and UL hiking poles came out completely unscathed.

Here in LAX -- and also at Denver International -- the bags (reams and reams of them) are actually placed out in the public area -- so you don't even have to ask -- just take what you need. I suspect other United terminals operate the same, but you might want to check ahead. Each bag weighs just 4-5 oz. -- so I would recommend taking two -- even though the bags can normally be reused.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
Thanks Benjamin on 09/09/2007 19:13:51 MDT Print View

Thanks Benjamin, as much as I hate just throwing something away, packrat 101,[I could keep this bag make raingear out of it or a packcover or fill it with helium and search for Steve Fossett] this seems like a good choice.