Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Black Bear outside the tent strategy question

Display Avatars Sort By:
Patrick Starich
(pjstarich) - MLife

Locale: N. Rocky Mountains
Marking your turf? on 05/18/2009 22:39:45 MDT Print View

Without wishing to divert the dialog in this forum I'll risk asking this question: Does it make any sense to "mark" your sleeping area with your urine? I almost always pee a few meters from my tent before retiring for the night and wonder if it's a useful strategy for leaving a human scent. Has this crossed anyone elses mind? Any bear experts out there know if bears are repelled, attracted, indifferent to the smell of human urine?

Edited by pjstarich on 05/26/2009 21:47:03 MDT.

Timothy Sexton
(Tijos1) - F
Bear and Obama on 05/19/2009 07:25:17 MDT Print View

> Some that I have heard people claim to use with varying degrees of success:
How about an iPod and a large loudspeaker system, and one of George Bush's speechs?

I advise against using one of President Obama's speeches because with all the uuhh, hummmm, filler words, you can put the bear to sleep. However, his speeches are great for putting me to sleep when I am not in bear country.

Tim Cheek
(hikerfan4sure) - MLife
marking turf on 05/19/2009 08:24:21 MDT Print View

Good question.

Colin Fletcher commented in one of his books about laying rope with human scent on it on the natural route to where he slept to forewarn mountain lions. I'm not sure if it works.

Urine might attract wildlife, too.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Marking your turf? on 05/19/2009 09:12:05 MDT Print View

When I was in Alaska camping on the banks of Skilak Lake, the guides encouraged marking the campsite.

Unknown abc
(edude) - F
"Black Bear outside the tent strategy question" on 05/19/2009 10:09:15 MDT Print View

>"I advise against using one of President Obama's speeches because with all the uuhh, hummmm, filler words, you can put the bear to sleep. However, his speeches are great for putting me to sleep when I am not in bear country."

LOL :D

Peter Burke
(Fishmonger) - F

Locale: Midwest
scare 'em on 05/19/2009 12:23:55 MDT Print View

Yoko Ono music, loud!

but hey - just bring a gun - looks like the Bush law will stick to make the right wingers sign off on the credit card bill:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090519/ap_on_go_co/us_guns_national_parks;_ylt=Au9bEtwAms5F5UpP6H5qbb5I2ocA

so what's the lightest .50 caliber weapon out there? anyone make a carbon fiber upgrade?

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: scare 'em on 05/19/2009 17:49:22 MDT Print View

"so what's the lightest .50 caliber weapon out there? anyone make a carbon fiber upgrade?"

The Black Diamond "Flintlock" trekking poles have a bore of ~.50 cal. How's that for dual purpose gear? I can see it now, some bear laying on the ground with the lower section of a BD pole buried in his skull up to the basket, and a proud hiker standing about 50 yards away cooly blowing smoke away from the muzzle of his pole.