Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
lose w8 now, ask dale how
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
lose w8 now, ask dale how on 08/27/2014 10:09:01 MDT Print View

In another thread, I mentioned selling clothing that no longer fits due to weight loss, Brian H asked "whats your w8 loss solution Dale?"

A year ago June I had a physical and the labs weren't stellar. I was basically pre-diabetic with higher serum glucose levels, verified by a poor A1C value, high triglycerides and my weight had gone up. I'm 60 years old, so this was serious stuff.

My GP prescribed Metformin for diabetes and I started right away. After taking it for about a week we went for an easy day hike and I felt like I was towing a lead weigh behind me. I wasn't short of breath or having any unusual pulse, but I just couldn't move. I really wanted to lie down on the side of the trail and take a nap.

I called my GP the next day and discontinued the Metformin and continued with a strict diet and regular exercise, walking outdoors as much as possible and doing the treadmill at the gym otherwise. My diet excluded as much sugar, starch and salt as possible, chicken and fish an no red meats, and eating whole unprocessed foods. I wasn't starving by any means, eating lots of salads, brown rice, quinoa, fish, almonds, oatmeal and fresh fruit.

I lost 30+ pounds, dropped my fasting blood sugar by 40 points, lowered my A1C by a full point, and lowered my blood pressure and resting pulse rate. Of course I feel better and I sleep better, and I hike faster with more stamina and faster recovery. I've had some foot issues that the weight loss and exercise have nearly eliminated.

This year we have taken up cycling and do regular trips on rail trails and I'm doing much of my urban travel on the bike, using it for grocery shopping and trips to the post office.

The only downside was that I had to replace a lot of clothing :)

brian H
(B14) - M

Locale: Siskiyou Mtns
kudos on 08/27/2014 10:20:54 MDT Print View

Kudos Dale, that is just Awesome.

it is basic nutritional info available to us all, proper diet/fresh air/exercise, but this drive-thru American culture seems 2b headed the other direction, doesn't it?

congrats 2u. What a GREAT problem to have, needing slimmer clothing!!

now, a stretch 4u: post a before n after hiking pic!

Katherine .
(Katherine) - F

Locale: pdx
Re: lose w8 now, ask dale how on 08/27/2014 11:29:14 MDT Print View

Awesome! Way to go.

Hits close to home for me. Husband got serious about the same issue a few weeks ago.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: lose w8 now, ask dale how on 08/27/2014 12:15:55 MDT Print View

How are you cholesterol and BP now that you have stopped loosing weight (assuming you have stopped loosing weight)? Most people will have those numbers go way down while not eating enough calories to maintain their weight.

My guess is that yours are fine, especially since you are still maintaining the increased exercise levels, but it is something worth having checked once ones weight stabilizes.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Re: lose w8 now, ask dale how on 08/27/2014 22:15:50 MDT Print View

Still working on the BP. It may not improve much at my age, but it isn't getting worse. Cholesterol is good. My weigh has been fairly stable since last winter. I would like to loose another 10 pounds.

Diane Pinkers
(dipink) - M

Locale: Western Washington
Hiking snacks? on 09/09/2014 21:22:15 MDT Print View

Hey, Dale, what did you do about snacks for hiking? I find that I probably eat the most sugar when I'm hiking. I can't not eat--if I'm hiking hard, I find I have to eat something every 2 hours or so.

Plain nuts w/o dried fruit? Jerky is red meat, with salt and sugar, bars are no good, although some claim to be low glycemic.

Avoiding the post-hike burger or pizza would help, too.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: lose w8 now, ask dale how on 09/09/2014 21:49:46 MDT Print View

Nice job Dale.

All of us know the drill.

Only a few have the discipline to get it done, and stay there.

Congrats!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: Hiking snacks? on 09/09/2014 21:59:47 MDT Print View

Moderation is the key. If you are burning it, you can eat it, but not ALL of it :) I take granola bars, almonds, fresh or dried fruit, small amounts of very high quality chocolate, a bit of cheese--- a bit.

+1 on post hike moderation. Just because you went for a walk is no excuse to pig out. Nothing wrong with one beer, but stop there. Have a salad and light on the dressing. Leave the bread alone, etc.

I'm not super hungry after a hike or bike trip. A light snack picks me up. One trick is to drink water when you feel hungry. Some say that hunger and thirst get mixed up and the theory is easy and safe to test: have a glass of water before you open the fridge!

I think we have been conditioned to constantly bathe our system with sugar. Break that link and you'll lose weight. Back off on the salt too. You'll be surprised how your taste changes.

Potato chips and French fries are great examples. You get sugar, salt and fat all in one package. Cut that kind of crud from your diet for a couple months and see how your taste changes. Chips are SO to me now. I try to keep my salt intake to 1200mg/day. I don't worry about it too much with hiking snacks and I need some when sweating heavily, but I don't pack really SALTY stuff.

Larry De La Briandais
(Hitech) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Re: Re: Hiking snacks? on 09/10/2014 12:19:55 MDT Print View

"Back off on the salt too. You'll be surprised how your taste changes."

I couldn't believe how much mine changed when I did that. You can really taste the salt after cutting back on it. The same thing for sugar, just not quite as pronounced. After drinking lightly flavored soda water (no sugar and no artificial sweeteners) I no longer like the taste of normal soda. It now tastes funny...

Laurie Ann March
(Laurie_Ann) - F

Locale: Ontario, Canada
way to go on 10/07/2014 09:12:36 MDT Print View

I'm a little late in responding. Congratulations on managing without the meds. I was once insulin dependent and then went on metformin. I never felt as awful as I did on metformin. I now maintain a decent A1C with just being active and eating according to glycemic index and carb amounts.

Having to continually shop for a new wardrobe is a pain... but better than the alternatives. Brilliant job!!

About the salt... this has been very hard for me. I don't like salt and now I have a sodium deficiency and have to eat a little more salt when I am training.

Edited by Laurie_Ann on 10/07/2014 09:14:15 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Re: way to go on 10/12/2014 13:05:53 MDT Print View

Thanks! I'm still continuing to lose a little. I need a whole new set of jeans--- can't keep the old ones up! I'm barely functioning with large size hiking pants and XL's used to be tight. I went through my closet last week and sent a big bag of tee shirts off to Goodwill.

Salt hasn't been too bad as it is usually associated with other stuff I shouldn't be eating, like potato chips and french fires. Packaged soups and sauces are terrible, but I like to cook, so that can be avoided. With a few rounds of label reading in the grocery store, you can find a palette of foods that work. The concept of shopping the perimeter of the store works well for me: all the bad stuff is in the center with the whole foods around the outer walls-- at least in US supermarkets.