Forum Index » Gear Swap » Bozeman Mountain Works Side Zip Vapr Bivy Long Left zip

Display Avatars Sort By:
Johnny Gish
(jtgish) - F

Locale: Coppell, Texas
Bozeman Mountain Works Side Zip Vapr Bivy Long Left zip on 09/06/2007 16:54:48 MDT Print View

deleted

Edited by jtgish on 02/12/2008 14:25:50 MST.

Michael Fogarty
(mfog1) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Scalping? on 09/06/2007 17:30:54 MDT Print View

Didn't you just purchase this bivy used for $150.00? This site shouldn't be used to profit off your fellow hikers, by buying used gear to do as such.(resale) Why don't you do this on e-bay? If I'm wrong, then my apologies in advance.

joe w
(sandalot) - F - M
bidding? on 09/06/2007 17:33:29 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by sandalot on 09/19/2009 15:57:37 MDT.

Ernie Elkins
(EarthDweller)

Locale: North Carolina
Re: bidding? on 09/06/2007 18:04:03 MDT Print View

I almost contacted JT to buy this immediately after he posted it for $150 earlier today. I'm glad I didn't bother...

He certainly has every right to sell this for whatever he chooses, but he probably should have handled it a little differently from the outset. I've realized once or twice in the past that I was asking too little for an item, but I never felt comfortable raising the price, especially after I'd already been contacted by a prospective buyer (if that's what happened in this case).

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

Locale: Eastern Pennsylvania
Bozeman Mountain Works Side Zip Vapr Bivy Long Left zip on 09/06/2007 19:01:09 MDT Print View

I will never consider looking at or buying anything from JT in the future if this is the way that he has decided to conduct business of reselling something he had purchased from another member here at BPL. I think that this is a very very bad precedent. As mentioned, if he wants a bidding war take it to eBay.

Rich

Christopher Plesko
(Pivvay) - F

Locale: Rocky Mountains
His choice? on 09/06/2007 19:55:42 MDT Print View

It's his gear and what does it matter what he paid? I highly doubt it bought it with the intent to resell and make a profit but even if he did who cares.

SUPPLY AND DEMAND

Sam .
(samurai) - F

Locale: NEPA
Re: His choice? on 09/06/2007 20:14:31 MDT Print View

>"It's his gear and what does it matter what he paid?"

No, it doesn't matter what he paid for it. What matters is he posted it for a price of $150 and after he saw how many people were interested he withdrew the $150 price and put it up for bids.

If it was offered at $150 (and it was) and someone agreed to it, he should have sold it for the asking price.

JT's been around here long enough to know better. This isn't Ebay.

Edited by samurai on 09/06/2007 20:22:37 MDT.

Phil Blaetz
(pblaetz) - F

Locale: North East
Read it Again on 09/06/2007 20:28:11 MDT Print View

The way I read the post is..........Douglas Durham listed this bivy for sale on 07/15/07. JT offered to buy it with in 2 hours. Now 6 weeks later he is selling it for possibly $25 more than he paid for it. I don't see anything wrong with that!

Sam .
(samurai) - F

Re: Read it Again on 09/06/2007 20:30:47 MDT Print View

You can't read it again, Phil. JT edited the post. The original offering was withdrawn. That's the point.

Edited by samurai on 09/06/2007 20:32:38 MDT.

Christopher Chupka
(FatTexan) - M

Locale: NTX
Bidding on 09/06/2007 20:31:48 MDT Print View

Yeah that's right but DDurham did not immediately say know to JT's offer and bump up the price $25.

I would have no issues if the ad originally started out as a bid.

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

Read it Again on 09/06/2007 20:34:00 MDT Print View

As Sam has said, JT had posted the price that many of us had read. JT then edited his posting, reposted a new posting with a new price. I still think that it is in very bad form.

Rich

Phil Blaetz
(pblaetz) - F

Locale: North East
OHHHHHH.......Sorry on 09/06/2007 20:35:02 MDT Print View

I stand corrected. I was going based on what I can read now. If JT listed in at $150 then based on his responce, raised the price........I hope he gets stift.

Sam .
(samurai) - F

Re: Bidding on 09/06/2007 20:41:54 MDT Print View

Edited.

Nevermind, Phil. I guess we're on the same page now. Have a good one.

Sam

Edited by samurai on 09/06/2007 20:48:15 MDT.

Johnny Gish
(jtgish) - F

Locale: Coppell, Texas
sorry. on 09/06/2007 20:47:22 MDT Print View

anyone in my situation would do the same thing. call it capitalism. i need money to replace this bivy so why not get as much as i can. i have given away numereous items for free on this site as well as donated gear to scout troops, so for the first time someone is willing to offer more than my asking price and im getting flamed. does not seem fair.

Sam .
(samurai) - F

Re: sorry on 09/06/2007 20:51:25 MDT Print View

JT. You offered it up for $150. If that offer was met by someone it's their's. What's not to understand? It's the right thing to do. At least it is where I come from.

Sam

Edited by samurai on 09/06/2007 20:52:49 MDT.

Richard Nelridge
(naturephoto1) - M

Sorry on 09/06/2007 21:01:31 MDT Print View

JT,

I would not have changed the price after posting an initial asking price. Many of us read it. I stand by my initial comments and will not consider your offerings in the future on principle.

Rich

Sam .
(samurai) - F

"im getting flamed" on 09/06/2007 21:09:54 MDT Print View

If you think this is a flame war, you've never been in one.

BTW The little key with the up arrow makes the big ABC's.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Bad Form on 09/06/2007 21:55:45 MDT Print View

Yeah, I agree that if you list something for $150, and a buyer agrees to your price, then it's settled.

Frankly, at this point, I doubt anyone would be DUMB ENOUGH to publically bid up the $175 any further! So, even if you do end up selling @ $175, do you really want to be stigmatized for a lousy $25 more?

Finally, next time around, sell your stuff on Ebay if you prefer the bid approach. That's what I do.

Edited by ben2world on 09/08/2007 08:52:46 MDT.

Richard Scruggs
(JRScruggs) - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Offer + Acceptance = Contract on 09/07/2007 00:37:21 MDT Print View

Offering something for acceptance is OK.

Offering something for the highest bid price is OK.

But I agree that offering something for acceptance and then, when someone accepts, changing the rules of the transaction to invite others to bid is pretty bad form.

Mixing offers for acceptance up with an auctioneering event in mid-stream deserves criticism and ostracism.

In other words, bait and switch tactics deserve a free ride to the city limits on a long splintered rail.

In this instance, not real sure what happened since the forum allows for history to be erased or rewritten.

JRS

Thomas Knighton
(Tomcat1066) - F

Locale: Southwest GA
Re: sorry. on 09/07/2007 03:17:48 MDT Print View

>anyone in my situation would do the same thing. call it >capitalism. i need money to replace this bivy so why not get >as much as i can. i have given away numereous items for free >on this site as well as donated gear to scout troops, so for >the first time someone is willing to offer more than my >asking price and im getting flamed. does not seem fair.

Actually, I think most people on here would have just smacked their head and wished they'd asked $175 and move on. What you did isn't capitalism. That's taking it to eBay and selling it, or I'd even say putting it up originally for bidding here would still be OK with me, so long as you were upfront about the method. Instead, you got an offer for more than your asking price, after agreeing to sell at $150, so now you've jacked someone around.

Honestly, it doesn't matter how many good things you do. It only takes one "Aw Crap" to erase a whole mess of "atta boys".

Tom