PIF Bear spray (Madison, WI)
Display Avatars Sort By:
Mary R
(pietimer) - MLife
PIF Bear spray (Madison, WI) on 08/24/2014 20:10:35 MDT Print View

I just returned from Yellowstone and checked out my bear spray--apparently it expires in 2015.

I have no griz populated trips planned for 2015, so I thought I'd pass on the spray to somebody who does. Unfortunately, bear spray can't be shipped. However, if anyone near Madison, WI would like to pick up the bear spray off me then send me a PM.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: PIF Bear spray (Madison, WI) on 08/24/2014 21:42:50 MDT Print View

It's not easy, but it can be done -

PepperSpray3

It's registered as a pesticide, and is under a liter. But unless you get some help from the manufacturer, it will be difficult to lead the PO through Publication 52, Hazardous, Restricted, and Perishable Mail , to get approval.

Edited by greg23 on 08/24/2014 22:18:47 MDT.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Re PIF bear spray on 08/24/2014 22:41:45 MDT Print View

I did ship bears spray once (legally). I don't remember the details but there was a special form. If you have the right PO employee it might be easy, if no one is familiar with the regs it might be more trouble then its worth.
I'd keep it. You could fire it off for practice then use the empty can to practice drawing out of the holster.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
Re Re PIF bear spray on 08/25/2014 01:33:27 MDT Print View

I shipped one a few years back USPS, I just had to let them know it was hazardous material, then they shipped it ground.

Gary Dunckel
(Zia-Grill-Guy) - MLife

Locale: Boulder
Re PIF bear spray on 08/25/2014 08:02:22 MDT Print View

It is good of you to offer this PIF. I usually just give it to someone at a permit office or ranger station if I am flying home--they can use it for sure, or they might give it to some other hiker that just arrived. This usually only works if you haven't fired it at all.

Edited by Zia-Grill-Guy on 08/25/2014 08:03:26 MDT.