Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Lazr titanium tent pegs

Display Avatars Sort By:
Daryl Glover
(trekt)

Locale: Mornington Peninsula
Lazr titanium tent pegs on 09/05/2007 21:12:50 MDT Print View

Hi eveyone. I have just purchased these pegs with hard ground in mind but would like to know anyone's experiences using them in soft, sodden ground, do they hold or should I use my fatter aluminium pegs?

cheers

daryl

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Lazr titanium tent pegs on 09/05/2007 22:44:28 MDT Print View

> anyone's experiences using them in soft, sodden ground,
Well, they are going to pull through 'soft, sodden ground' a bit, but is that really what you will be camping on?

I found they gripped quite well when pushed into clumps of grass, even in 'wet' ground. I also found that a 'wet' surface does not always mean the soil is really soft further down. So I stomp on the peg (with care of course) so it is right into the ground, and have not really ever had a problem. Getting the peg back out ... well, try having a spare peg to hook it with!

Daryl Glover
(trekt)

Re: Lazr titanium tent pegs on 09/06/2007 00:25:24 MDT Print View

thanks Roger. Tasmania is where I'll be hiking & it's known for it's rainfall etc so there's not always a lot of choice for a dry campsite they tell me.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Lazr titanium tent pegs on 09/06/2007 02:58:10 MDT Print View

Hi Daryl

> Tasmania is where I'll be hiking & it's known for it's rainfall etc so there's not always a lot of choice for a dry campsite they tell me.
Yeah, it has been known to rain there ... :-)
OK, more specific locale. Hum - I would be tempted to take half Ti wires and half larger (longer) Al pegs for Tassie.

Daryl Glover
(trekt)

Re: Re: Re: Lazr titanium tent pegs on 09/06/2007 18:32:05 MDT Print View

Yeah thanks mate. I have the OEM Al' pegs that came with the tent. They are about 150mm or so long. I'll see if I can get some longer ones next week when I'm at my regular haunt.

Daryl

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
50/50 pegs on 09/06/2007 19:27:24 MDT Print View

I made my own 6" Ti pegs out of the BPL ti rod (it think they are the same diameter as the lazr), and I bring half of each...the big aluminum ones for my main tie-outs, and then the little guys for the areas of less stress. However, they do stay better then you think.

Daryl Glover
(trekt)

Tent pegs on 09/06/2007 19:51:02 MDT Print View

thanks Steve. 50/50 sounds the go.