Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
My 2014 Backpacking Road Trip - Part 1
Display Avatars Sort By:
Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
My 2014 Backpacking Road Trip - Part 1 on 08/17/2014 16:06:06 MDT Print View

I'm a teacher so I spent much of the summer of 2014 on a road trip through the west with stops for backpacking trips, a WFR course, the APA roundup and more backpacking trips.

Here is a link to the first BPing trip which was the Pecos Wilderness area (again)

Early Summer in the Pecos

More to come

D S
(onthecouchagain) - MLife

Locale: Sunny SoCal
nice job Luke on 08/17/2014 23:38:07 MDT Print View

Cool trip report---nice wildlife!

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: My 2014 Backpacking Road Trip - Part 1 on 08/18/2014 09:08:25 MDT Print View

Nice TR Luke. It's pretty cool how close you were able to get to the big horn sheep.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Re Re My 2014 Backpacking Road Trip - Part 1 on 08/18/2014 10:55:14 MDT Print View

Ian my understanding is they were hunted to extinction there then reintroduced during the 1970s. In the late 70s or early 80s my grandfather went hiking there and saw them. Back then they were so tame he could pet them. He said he would scratch this one Ewe's neck and when he stopped she would head but him!

I forgot to mention there were also one or two random Elk hanging out in the middle of the sheep herd, I think they show up in one picture.

I might have just had good luck but that's more wildlife then I've ever seen on a Pecos trip. My theory is the snow in the shady areas (i.e. the forest) may have been pushing them out into more open areas where they were more visible.