Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Martin Titanium Knife on 08/12/2014 22:59:25 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Martin Titanium Knife

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
what? on 08/13/2014 09:18:39 MDT Print View

I find this entire article worthless. A review for a custom made knife, not available on the market, that isn't even a complete review. It is made by somebody we will call Mike Martin...?

rogerio brito
(kafer4life) - MLife

Locale: North Country
nice on 08/13/2014 09:45:05 MDT Print View

Being a bit of a geek when it comes to new gear, i jumped right into this article. Not what i initially expected, definitely not as pissy as Michael L. Nice to see some of the DIY isms Mike went through to reach an end state result of his project. I look forward to a follow on story, thanks to pushing the envelope of a POSITIVE ultralight experience.

roger

Eric Lundquist
(cobberman) - F - M

Locale: Northern Colorado
Re: Hmmm. on 08/13/2014 09:54:38 MDT Print View

How about a comparative analysis of available titanium fish knives.

Ruta Locura has one available for purchase (link below) and Javan Dempsey (link also below) made a small batch of knives a few years ago.

http://www.rutalocura.com/Ti_Knives.html
http://www.suluk46.com/RandD%20-%20RD38%20UL%20Titanium%20Knife.html

Edited by cobberman on 08/13/2014 09:55:22 MDT.

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
Comprehensive review on 08/13/2014 10:10:01 MDT Print View

Would also include the Kestrel Knives.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
Re: Martin Titanium Knife on 08/13/2014 10:11:36 MDT Print View

Kestral knives makes a number of similar blades.

I had one of their ti Ultralighter knives last year. Gorgeous, and a very cool concept, but the limitations in how it cut and the flexible ti had me conclude that it wasn't what I was looking for in a fixed blade.

Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Martin Titanium Knife on 08/13/2014 10:36:39 MDT Print View

Hi All-

I guess I'm the "somebody we will call 'Mike Martin'". I made this knife for Ryan a year ago as a gift. I didn't really intend for it to become a BPL MYOG article, nor am I involved in authoring this article beyond answering a few questions from Ryan. I just thought that he might appreciate a knife like this.

This is not a commercial venture for me, and I fully support the various knifemakers who are producing beautiful carbidized and/or titanium knives. The knife that Ryan is writing about here is crude by comparison. It is quite light, and works well enough for its intended uses, but is really just a garage-made utility blade full of tooling marks and cosmetic defects. I'm honored that it's found a spot in his pack.

Still, I'll gladly answer any questions you might have about my knives.

EDIT: To eric's list of makers, I'd like to add danielfairlyknives.com

-Mike

Edited by MikeMartin on 08/13/2014 10:48:34 MDT.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Re: nice on 08/13/2014 10:50:54 MDT Print View

Roger,
It isn't being "pissy" as you so elegantly put it. Nice insults over the internet.

If Mike Martin (yes RJ left it open if this was a real name or just a pseudonym) wrote the article, then it would be a good MYOG article. But I expect more from the site. RJ has started reviews that he promised to update that never materialized. I think a healthy dose of criticism might do him some good. Of course you can ask others how that has worked in the past.

Peter S
(prse) - MLife

Locale: Denmark
Classic BPL on 08/13/2014 14:00:46 MDT Print View

I agree with the others. A comparative article on similar knives would be worth a lot more. Probably nothing wrong with the knife, but that's beside the point.

I'll ad what i've said before: Better to have fewer articles, but better articles.
Now i wait to be censored as usually...

Jeffs Eleven
(WoodenWizard) - F

Locale: Greater Mt Tabor
Re: Re: nice on 08/13/2014 14:10:36 MDT Print View

'healthy dose of criticism might do him some good"

I bet it doesn't

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: nice on 08/13/2014 14:19:48 MDT Print View

I'm being optimistic.

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
Managing expectations on 08/13/2014 15:06:23 MDT Print View

Once you lower your expectations about what to expect from the weekly content you will be pleasantly surprised when Roger or David or many other excellent contributors publish one of their well researched articles. If you eagerly await for such content every Tuesday evening you will inevitably be disappointed. I do agree this article was a dud ( no offense to Mr. Martin the knife looks cool) but I've stopped getting upset about these.

Edited by drown on 08/13/2014 15:08:47 MDT.

icefest From Australia
(icefest)
Broken link on 08/13/2014 16:07:59 MDT Print View

Great read, I've been eyeing knifes like this for a while....

The link to the liveblog at the end is broken.

Jimmy D
(byocarbon) - MLife

Locale: El Rio Colorado
tungsten carbide on 08/13/2014 16:28:26 MDT Print View

Cool technology - "carbidized with tungsten carbide." I love the concept (maybe it is not that new, but this is the first I have heard about it.)

As someone who never does get around to sharpening blades, to have a blade that is self sharpening - even if not perfect - would be great. Nothing like trying to cut moleskin or something like it a few days into a trip with a knife that by that time would be better used as a butter knife.

The DanielFairlyKnives.com 'titanium backpacker' looks cool, though pricey. May have to give it a try.

Michael Martin
(MikeMartin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: North Idaho
Re: tungsten carbide on 08/13/2014 17:15:15 MDT Print View

@Jimmy:

I'd say that the carbidized edge is *somewhat* self-sharpening, depending on what material you're cutting. The underlying Ti substrate is very soft by knife standards, so you have to exercise care not to deform the edge. Whittling, chopping, etc. will quickly destroy it. That said, it can cut abrasive materials like cardboard or Spectra line without losing an edge like a regular blade. In fact, you can hone the edge just by slicing up some cardboard.

OTOH, the carbidized edge is not magic. At least on my knives, it will never be sharp enough to shave hairs...

Cheers,

-Mike

Edited by MikeMartin on 08/13/2014 17:21:51 MDT.

Bob Moulder
(bobmny10562) - F - M

Locale: Westchester County, NY
Re: tungsten carbide on 08/13/2014 17:50:51 MDT Print View

from the article: "The size of the handle and blade were chosen to be able to clean a nice trout with decent ergonomics."

I have been using a Leatherman PS4 and, if anything, I'm likely going to downgrade (and lighten up even further) with one of those retractable razor blade things next spring. I'm staying with the PS4 through the upcoming winter season to see if the pliers or file come in handy. But thus far this year I used it one time in the field to cut some cord, and maybe the scissors to trim a fingernail.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: Martin Titanium Knife on 08/13/2014 19:22:45 MDT Print View

"healthy dose of criticism might do him some good"

"I bet it doesn't"

+1

Sadly been down that road already. Every mile of it.

+1 With Peter too, of course.

Adam Klagsbrun
(klags) - MLife

Locale: Northeast US
Re: Re: Re: Re: nice - Fed up with this complaining BS on 08/13/2014 21:28:22 MDT Print View

@ Michael L - You know, honestly I'm sick of the complaining from these people like you who are always first to say "this article sucks." I've been a member of this site for a few years now, and you know what? Its a good site. I've trolled some internet sites sometimes for fun. But this isn't a community where we need that whole negative dickhead attitude. We also don't need the "article police" to decide if we like hunting-related posts, or bikepacking posts, or moto-camping posts. Guess what? Some of us like reading all of these for fun anyway. Who cares that there's a partial article here, enjoy what you've got there. At least have some criticism that makes sense. This isn't a scientific journal. You want perfection? It costs hundreds per year. Want to pay that? I don't.

You pay for this site, yeah? So just stop paying if you're not happy. If you're a lifer, are you really gonna complain that you overpaid ONCE for all the amazing information, reviews, MYOG details... you could literally start businesses or build products from the information people share for free on here. You can get here as a noob who has never climbed a peak and learn everything you need to know on here. You can come here with 45 lbs on your back and end with 25 or less. You can learn about how BS backpacker magazine is. You can live vicariously through the trip reports of others that get posted every day. And, you can just use an ad blocker like a smart human to take care of those pesky ads

[Last two paragraphs deleted due to profanity. -DC]
[And a bit more cleaned up by me - RNC]

Edited by rcaffin on 08/24/2014 17:25:10 MDT.

Adam Klagsbrun
(klags) - MLife

Locale: Northeast US
oh and one more thing Michael L... on 08/13/2014 21:34:45 MDT Print View

@ Michael L... Also remember that people can see what you post from your forum profile. If you check out yours, its basically half political ranting and being negative or nasty to prove a point. If this weren't a paid site that admins should have booted you by now. All you get from your membership, with an attitude like that, is going to be negativity coming right back your way my man. Everyone is allowed their moments of ranting or going too far. But patterns are patterns. Maybe its time to do some soul searching... if you're so bored of the content here that you just want to fight about politics or troll the site, maybe its time to find another site to join?

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Re: Re: tungsten carbide on 08/13/2014 21:50:13 MDT Print View

One of the UL issues with fixed blade knives is that they normally require a sheath to carry them safely which obviously adds to the weight. Some people like Dale (if memory serves) have used those plastic report binders to serve the purpose.

How is this knife being carried when not in use?