"Light" weight backpack to carry 40-50 lbs
Display Avatars Sort By:
Bradford Rogers
(Mocs123) - MLife

Locale: Southeast Tennessee
Re: "Light" weight backpack to carry 40-50 lbs on 08/12/2014 16:46:52 MDT Print View

The absolute best option: McHale LBP but that will run you $500 plus. It is custom pack, so it would fit like a glove and last forever. McHale packs are the best packs money can buy. I have a McHale LBP 36 and there is no comparison with any other pack I have ever used, and I have used most brands

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: Re: Re: Re Re Why Compromise on 08/12/2014 16:52:01 MDT Print View

"They said the padding in the new hipbelts on the 4400s is the same thickness it has always been (unchanged since inception)."

Sorry - was referring to the 3400 that adopted the 4400 belt (including 2014 length revisions) this year.

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Re: "Light" weight backpack to carry 40-50 lbs on 08/12/2014 16:58:12 MDT Print View

I am with Bradford on the McHale, mine cost a lot more than
500$ as got a SARC.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: "Light" weight backpack to carry 40-50 lbs on 08/12/2014 17:12:15 MDT Print View

Those kids will grow fast and need lots of their own gear too. An Alps 80 liter doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but it's paid for. I would make do and keep any eye out for a deal. People unload big packs pretty cheap, especially in the fall and winter, which is coming up fast.

Hiking with kids usually means easier and shorter hikes, making is easier on Poppa Sherpa too. They don't need to get very far out in the woods to have it feel like a real adventure.

What I as in mind was a decent Osprey, REI or other 60-80 pack. A McHale or Dana would be great and there's nothing wrong with a good external frame.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
HMG Porter on 08/12/2014 17:20:41 MDT Print View

I bought the 2014 version of the Porter 4400 when I realized none of my current packs could handle a packraft, PFD and five days of food. It works pretty well but the hipbelt doesn't transfer weight as comfortably as other packs. For 2.4 pounds and loads almost always under 40 pounds I can live with it just fine. But if I was going to carry more then 35-40 on a regular basis I think and extra half pound to a pound for a better hipbelt might be worth it.

BTW be careful on the fabric choices if you plan to hike in West Texas. Some of the VX serious fabrics are not very abrasion resistant.