Evaluating outdoor gear with open source hardware
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Jordan
(ryan) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Greater Yellowstone
Evaluating outdoor gear with open source hardware on 07/30/2014 00:28:20 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Evaluating outdoor gear with open source hardware

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Evaluating outdoor gear with open source hardware on 07/30/2014 08:47:30 MDT Print View

Wow! That is an impressive setup. Much more difficult to model a human erect torso with arms than just a flat plate like I did (and Roger's but I should let him speak for himself).

Your extract you linked to showed that having a spacer mesh under fleece garment allowed better ventilation so you can better adjust your insulation to avoid sweating. Are you planning additional experiments?

I tried a sensor attached to small foil plate to better measure temperature, like you mentioned and Roger suggested, but the foil affected the temperature because of radiative heat loss. With foil, it was a little warmer because heat wasn't radiated away.

Really sophisticated setup.

Devin Montgomery
(dsmontgomery) - MLife

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble
Re: Evaluating outdoor gear with open source hardware on 07/30/2014 10:06:59 MDT Print View

This is damn cool. And exactly why I love BPL.

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Evaluating outdoor gear with open source hardware on 07/30/2014 10:58:16 MDT Print View

There is a broken link to (see articles by Jerry Adams)in this text: "Online publications like backpackinglight.com, and their associated communities, seek to provide unbiased information which is more useful to consumers, and have developed quite sophisticated equipment with which to do this (see articles by Jerry Adams).

James Marco
(jamesdmarco) - MLife

Locale: Finger Lakes
Evaluating outdoor gear with open source hardware on 07/30/2014 12:03:13 MDT Print View

Nice article. Yes, the construction of a true body manikin can be very complex. Thanks, Ryan!

peter vacco
(fluff@inreach.com) - M

Locale: no. california
Re: Evaluating outdoor gear with open source hardware on 08/02/2014 09:59:28 MDT Print View

" for someone like me, with no electronics background "
uhhhh .. ok. (if you say so)

very nice work such as yours will advance the art and raise the bar. because once one gets past intuitive acts such as setting engine timing by ear and amp/volt adjustments when welding , things need quantification if they are to advance further.
(just exactly What things are worthy of this quantification is a place where conventional management most often falls on it's face, being as they tend to look at the clock rather than the quality.)

i am not so sure that the arms are necessary for accuracy, but then, Right There is some intuitive thinking, and it's not backed up by squat.

notes :
if i was to do anything different, the first thing i might add is ferrules to my wire ends. they render wire connections more user friendly, easier to move about, and they look cleaner. also, ferrules are essentially Free. virtually All the nicer industrial equipment wiring is equipped with them. econo stuff .. not so much..
such are avail @

http://www.automationdirect.com/adc/Shopping/Catalog/Wiring_Solutions/Wire_End_Connectors/Insulated_Ferrules/Standard_Color_Single_Wire

you'll want the appropriate crimping tool. once you go with ferrules, (it's like wiping down your ammo, even though it just came out of a new box) your life will be better, and you will stand taller among men.

great work,
thank you for sharing !
peter v.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Evaluating outdoor gear with open source hardware on 08/03/2014 18:04:33 MDT Print View

It would be interesting to do an experiment

Compare fleece, fleece with wind shirt, and fleece with WPB jacket

0 MPH and 30 MPH

2 MET (100 W/m2 - light exercise) and 8 MET (400 W/m2 - heavy exercise)

or whatever conditions you wanted to test

find the minimum comfortable temperature for each - inside skin temperature = 92 F or whatever

rogerio brito
(kafer4life) - MLife

Locale: North Country
Great one on 08/15/2014 00:04:47 MDT Print View

A great read once again. I truly enjoy many of the articles/tests/reviews that you all post on BPL. Thanks.

Roger

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Evaluating outdoor gear with open source hardware on 08/15/2014 01:01:08 MDT Print View

Hat off for this one.
I was away walking and so missed its publication. It certainly sets the bar for the future!

Cheers