Testing embedded links
Display Avatars Sort By:
Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Testing embedded links on 08/31/2007 13:16:14 MDT Print View

So is anyone else having problems embedding links in their posts or am I just having a bad day?

Adam

One last attempt: Google

Edit: Ok, so there are a handful of sites I know I can't link to. One being tarbubble's pictures of her quilts, the other being Patagonia.

Edited by aroth87 on 08/31/2007 13:21:53 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Want to display an image? on 08/31/2007 13:20:04 MDT Print View

Adam:

Seems like you are trying to link/display an image rather than an URL address??? If so, then I think the "img src" embedding/displaying works only with jpg type files.

What is the URL to Tarbubbles' pictures? Maybe I can give it a try...

Edited by ben2world on 08/31/2007 13:24:24 MDT.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Re: Want to display an image? on 08/31/2007 13:24:48 MDT Print View

Ben, you caught me at a bad edit. I think I edited the post a dozen times. I was desperately trying to get something to work and tried an [img src] even though I knew BPL wouldn't recognize it. What I was trying to do originally was link to a product on Patagonia's website and I can't get it to work for the life of me. Can anyone else do it? If so, please do so and make me feel like a fool :).

Adam

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Link on 08/31/2007 13:36:54 MDT Print View

Adam:

I find BPL's "commands" both awkward and limiting. Only certain URL's and image types can be linked. In contrast, I have no such problems with other forums, such as Backpacker Forum. As proof, click here for my links to Tarbubble's pics and Patagonia belt. No problems there at all.

Edited by ben2world on 08/31/2007 14:09:11 MDT.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Re: Link on 08/31/2007 14:11:40 MDT Print View

Lol, I thought it might have something to do with only working with certain URLs. Oh well, its too nice today (82*, no clouds, slight breeze) to be inside worrying about this kind of stuff.
Time to go take the dog for a nice, long walk...

Adam

Ross Bleakney
(rossbleakney) - MLife

Locale: Cascades
Linking Problems -- Big Url Related? on 11/01/2007 18:21:30 MDT Print View

I just tried to add a link to a message and couldn't get it to work. It kept erasing the href value, leaving me with an empty link (e.g. Empty Link). After much frustration, I made the url smaller by going to tinyurl and things worked fine. I'm not sure why a big URL would cause a problem in the software, but this seems like a work-around worth trying if you have trouble making a link. By the way, I am a software engineer with a fair amount of web (and QA) experience.

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Testing embedded links on 11/02/2007 07:42:17 MDT Print View

I don't know why the problem occurs but the forum software used for BPL simply doesn't like long URLs. I've taken to using TinyURL as well as it's really simple and works well.