Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
YOUR TENT DOODADS?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
YOUR TENT DOODADS? on 07/23/2014 15:49:13 MDT Print View

I like to make my tent more comfortable with a few extras.

GUY LINES:
I make up all needed guy lines at home with small snap hooks at the tent end and Line Loc sliders at the stake end. (Guy line stakes are dead branches I break to size or rocks.) These quick-attach adjustable lines go on fast if a storm suddenly blows in. Usually two guy lines are enough for 3 season camping.

ZIPPER PULLS:
Fumbling to find tiny zipper tabs in the night or cold mornings is eliminated with glow-in-the-dark zipper pulls.

INTERIOR HANG LOOPS:
I sew in at least a small peak loop of guy line cord for hanging a headlamp. Fortunately Tarptent provides ample points for this. In my 3 and 2 person tents I sew on corner loops for tying in cords for "clothes lines" to dry damp clothes. Often this requires a LOT of venting overnight. Try to sew into seam selvedge edges.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Lantern on 07/23/2014 16:08:30 MDT Print View

This is neat. I picked it up last year:

ppppoooooiii

It's a drybag from Mammut that doubles as a lantern. It's not the lightest drybag available, but for a small weight penalty, my girlfriend forgets she's sleeping on a foam mat and basks in the warm glow of our little outdoor house.

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - F - M

Locale: SoCal
Re: Lantern on 07/23/2014 19:44:27 MDT Print View

There's another way to do that without any additional weight at all. If you wrap a headlamp around a clear water bottle (full) with the light facing in, it works as a lantern.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: YOUR TENT DOODADS? on 07/23/2014 21:00:54 MDT Print View

Zipper pulls.. definitely reflective for easy finding in the dark.

guy lines. also reflective for avoiding that lovely rope burn across your ankle

pocket(s). I made sure the tent i got had one just to keep things organized. I put my headlamp and watch in there especially so they are within reach and easy to find when needed.

my lightheart solo has a pvc pipe that connects the 2 trekking poles so that can be used to hang things like a headlamp.. socks. whatever.