Forum Index » GEAR » Steripen$119, $3 UV light just as good?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Steripen$119, $3 UV light just as good? on 09/02/2007 13:04:43 MDT Print View

Having been interested in UV-C for awhile (originally for aquarium and pond use) I've found that the concept and technology have been in use for a looooong time. Here's an article clip discussing the Hotel Fort Des Moines (Iowa):

It cost $1.3 million to construct back in 1919, and according to general manager Paul Rottenberg, "It was built as a 'super' hotel. Every room had its own bath; there was circulating ice water to every room; and the water passed through ultraviolet light to be purified."

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

Locale: PNW
UV use on 09/02/2007 13:23:45 MDT Print View

We used a UV unit to sterilize our home's water while living in the mountains of Montana from 1984 to 1994 because our water source was a spring which was prone to contamination. The water was pumped through a pressure tank, then the uv unit. It did the job efficiently and fairly inexpensively.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Steripen$119, $3 UV light just as good? on 09/02/2007 16:17:20 MDT Print View

> Quick note, I found the $3 UV LEDs on ebay! But I'm doubting their possible effectiveness based on the frequency.

There's only one company in the world able to make UV-C LEDs right now, and the volume pricing on the relevant LEDs is about US$50 per unit at present.
So a $3 UV-LED from e-Bay is unlikely to work. Most likely it gives UV-A light - far too long a wavelength (too low in photon energy) to be effective.

However, given the speed of semiconductor progress, come back next year for the next exciting instalment in this saga!

Roleigh Martin
(marti124) - MLife

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group
a word of advice about steripen models on 09/02/2007 16:43:01 MDT Print View

I have used steripens on the trail twice, last year, I used a classic steripen which failed after 4 days of use -- it got moisture in the chamber which causes it to fail. In discussions with Steripen, I was informed that their newer models are much more moisture proof than the classic. I went on a 15 day hike in SEKI this year with the steripen adventurer, and it worked just superbly. No problems. We got resupplied after day 7, and only then did I swap batteries. I averaged minimally 4 liters of water purification a day on the hike (some days 5 liters).

PS - my friend who hiked both trips with me had same gear, his steripen classic did not fail last year, thank goodness, as that was what we depended upon for the last 5 days of the trail last year. It rained 8 out of 9 days last year on the trail too (this year it did not rain even once).

Roger Caffin

Re: a word of advice about steripen models on 09/02/2007 20:56:54 MDT Print View

> I used a classic steripen which failed after 4 days of use -- it got moisture in the chamber which causes it to fail. In discussions with Steripen, I was informed that their newer models are much more moisture proof than the classic.
Uncommon, but I think it is now a known problem. I believe the circuit boards inside are now being coated with a moisture-proof film.

> I went on a 15 day hike in SEKI this year with the steripen adventurer, and it worked just superbly.
I used our Adventurer on and off for 3 months in France. Never gave a problem.

> We got resupplied after day 7, and only then did I swap batteries.
I took the blue 900 mA Tenrod rechargables and a solar panel I carried on the roof on my pack. Worked excellently. The rechargables have enough capacity to last for several days in case of rainy weather - which we got a lot of.

Edited by rcaffin on 09/03/2007 23:59:26 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
I Caved -- It's ALL YOUR FAULT!!! on 09/03/2007 12:29:17 MDT Print View

OK, I am heading out to REI -- to get the $99 Steripen "deal". You are all enablers -- every one of you!

David, aren't you getting yours? You know you need one!

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

Don't forget to buy on 09/03/2007 12:37:05 MDT Print View

lithium batteries, too.

P. P.
(toesnorth) - F

And............ on 09/03/2007 12:44:15 MDT Print View

as I recall, YOU were partially respsonsible in me buying a Six Moons Design Lunar Duo so who's enabling whom? BTW, I couldn't be happier with it!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Steripen on 09/03/2007 12:57:09 MDT Print View

nm

Edited by FamilyGuy on 11/04/2013 10:28:52 MST.

Rob Blazoff
(Genetic) - F

Locale: Out back, brewing beer in BPA.
Batteries on 09/03/2007 13:15:31 MDT Print View

Reminder: get NiMH (I like Energizers) or Lithiums for the Steripen classic. Alkaline batteries might get you 20 liters purified if you are lucky.

Those of you that use the second gen Steripen can get some great cr123 batteries for a buck a pop at amondotech. The "New Titanium" batteries have worked well for me in my Miox.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
UV: Steripen Tube, LED on 09/03/2007 13:49:15 MDT Print View

Hey, thanks for more "buy" advice!

David - No need to apologize to Brett. He had indicated that his question was answered. In any case, he too could use a Steripen. :)

Edited by ben2world on 09/03/2007 14:26:56 MDT.

Roger Caffin

Re: Batteries on 09/03/2007 16:08:36 MDT Print View

> great cr123 batteries for a buck a pop at amondotech. The "New Titanium" batteries

Tech data? Please! I ask because in my experience 'you get what you pay for' with batteries.

Rob Blazoff
(Genetic) - F

Locale: Out back, brewing beer in BPA.
flashlight on 09/03/2007 17:13:34 MDT Print View

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/titanium_123a.htm

That is the best I can do Roger.

I have to stop posting about that brand. I sound like I work for them.
(Full disclosure: I have no professional or private connection, employment, or business dealings with the above stated producer of batteries).

Roger Caffin

Re: flashlight on 09/03/2007 17:47:50 MDT Print View

Hi Rob

Thanks for URL. Interesting.

Brett .
(Brett1234) - F

Locale: CA
rechargable CR123 on 09/03/2007 20:24:22 MDT Print View

Bens right of course; I'm terrible about hijaking threads also..

I just got a CR123 type flashlight and some 850ma rechargables; its more economical to recharge, and I always know I'm leaving with full batteries.
Get them at www.dealextreme.com or many other places. Caution, that site sells some krappy flashlights, stick to their accessories.

Edited by Brett1234 on 09/03/2007 20:30:10 MDT.

Roger Caffin

Re: rechargable CR123 on 09/03/2007 21:05:34 MDT Print View

Hi Brett

I looked up those batteries. Not very impressed by the user comments. You might want to do a few checks before you go.

> Cons: 1. The length of the battery is 2mm longer than the usual CR123A. The extra 2mm space is used for the protection circuit board. Before buying it, test if this length works well in your device by sticking a 2mm thick object on the pole of the CR123A.
In that case I don't think they would safely fit in most devices, including the Steripen Adventurer.

> 2. The capacity is my biggest complaint. It says 880mah on the label. Before buying it, I imagined that it might be as low as 600mah. No, it's wrong. It runs only 15mins in my flash that runs 1 hour with CR123A. So, the actual capacity is around 300-400mah. That's just half of the labeled capacity.
Typical advertising, and very common for rechargable lithium CR123s.
I tested the blue Tenrod CR123 900 mA rechargables and they do seem to meet specs. The cheaper silver Tenrod 750 mA ones do NOT: they are a bit of a disaster.

Cheers

Edited by rcaffin on 09/03/2007 23:58:38 MDT.