Forum Index » Gear Swap » WTB: Film Canisters

Display Avatars Sort By:
Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
WTB: Film Canisters on 07/22/2014 13:17:37 MDT Print View

Check your basements! I'm looking for a few film canisters with a good cap seal- anyone got any?

I'll pay shipping!

-Max

John Jonas
(hjuan99) - MLife
walmart on 07/22/2014 13:18:45 MDT Print View

Are you talking about the little plastic canisters that held film?

Just go to your walmart photo dept...they have a box of them, just ask for a few they will give them to you for free.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: WTB: Film Canisters on 07/22/2014 14:47:33 MDT Print View

What is film?

But seriously, back in my dark room using days I literally had a garbage can full of them. At the time I never really found a lot of things to use them for. Now that they are as hard to find as Ivory Billed Woodpeckers, I can think of loads they would be good for.

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Rare Birds on 07/22/2014 15:07:37 MDT Print View

I used to have a ton, too! I remember reading a book in kindergarden called "The Littles" about some tiny people. They used them as waterproof storage on a boating trip in a stream or a puddle or something.

Funny that now, at 24, I'm considering them for waterproof storage for camping...

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: WTB: Film Canisters on 07/22/2014 15:09:27 MDT Print View

With or without film?

Kodak or Fuji?

--B.G.--

Maris L
(Ablaut)
Re: WTB: Film Canisters on 07/22/2014 15:49:14 MDT Print View

I save these for that reason all the time. How many do you need? Black? Clear? Opaque?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: WTB: Film Canisters on 07/22/2014 16:36:16 MDT Print View

We probably agree that plastic film canisters are strong, the caps are good, and they are air-tight. One small problem is that they are not very tall. For some items, you would like a taller can or cylinder.

Occasionally a backpacker might want to have some sugary/energy treats along for that extra burst of strength while heading up to the high pass. The thing for this is glucose tablets which are almost pure sugar. They are sold at Wally World along with supplies for diabetics, and they are sold in a plastic tube about three inches tall.

Once I've consumed the glucose tablets, I have an empty plastic tube that makes perfect storage for anything almost three inches long.

--B.G.--

Lester Wang
(lpwang) - MLife
Film Containers on 07/23/2014 09:47:11 MDT Print View

The last time I needed film containers for a Boy Scout project, I went to Walgreens and talked to the photo counter.

Some people still use 35 mm film. After a few weeks, they saved enough for the boys to have containers for their char cloth.

Lester

John Gilliland
(johncgilliland) - F - M

Locale: Indianapolis
Prescription bottles work well on 07/23/2014 10:00:51 MDT Print View

I use an old prescription bottle (label cleaned off of course) to hold my first aid kit and it works great. It was a pretty large one so it holds bandaids and a small neosporin tube, etc. And I like the little locking action I get when I turn the cap all the way down. Just a thought!

Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Re: WTB: Film Canisters on 07/23/2014 10:10:01 MDT Print View

alternatively find someone who uses the Airborne multivitamin supplement.
Those are slightly better than film, because they are longer.

for the same price as shipping, you can buy them from Trader Joe's, use the fizzy tablets and get a free container.

and unlike the film canisters which are not intended for food, the Airborne canister are designed to be food grade.

alan genser
(alan) - F - M

Locale: NE
use the force, young jedi. on 07/24/2014 06:31:16 MDT Print View

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=film+canisters

Edited by alan on 07/24/2014 08:03:38 MDT.