Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » John Muir Trail Record Attempt 22-July

Display Avatars Sort By:
Aaron Sorensen
(awsorensen) - MLife

Locale: South of Forester Pass
Re: Re: John Muir Trail Record Attempt 22-July on 07/30/2014 22:37:08 MDT Print View

Ralph,
Here are a few things I can clarify.
I know Brett. He is an animal. His wife was telling me at Barkley that during the entire time he sweats profusely. This means he can move just under his lactate threshold for at least 54 hours. Seemed about the same on the JMT as the last day he fell apart and "just hiked" it in to the finish. His previous 2 1/2 day pace was much quicker.
As far as his sleep schedule, I agree, but after his 6 hours of downtime, he virtually caught and passed Hal and Mike until Reds Meadow. The extra sleep must have done some good?

As far as Michael Popov. He was a big guy, 6'2" and 190 at the time of his attempt. He had a very solid hiking pace but it also took a lot out of him to burn that powerful engine. After 19-20 hours he needed that 4-5 hours of sleep. Without it, he would slowly go down hill. I had done a few events past 24 hours and I could keep up the pace and pass him in the end.
Problem was, he would be good to go with that 4-5 hours of sleep.

I let Krissy and Jenn know what I thought about sleep.
I said the best way to go is to just eat with the resupply and then have one of them head out with you and some sleeping bags.
After an hour or so of some uphill hiking you are going to burn off your anxiousness and the good 1,000 calorie meal you ate and be extremely tired.

I thought they should have gotten 4 hours the first two nights and 3 the last.
Getting sleep and being fast is much faster than a tired zombie walk any day.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Krissy Moehl Writeup on Failed Record Attempt on 08/05/2014 08:04:56 MDT Print View

Here is Krissy Moehl's write up on her and Jenn's failed JMT record attempt.
I guess the reason Krissy had to drop was a bad case of giardia.

Krissy Moehl write up of failed record attempt

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
record attempt on 08/05/2014 18:36:27 MDT Print View

Jenn had giardia a couple weeks ago, they think Krissy could have gotten it from her and it just began to show after its incubation period when they started the attempt.

Or, it might not have been giardia at all. You dont really know without stool exam. But a severe gastro disturbance for sure. Too bad. It takes a bit of good fortune to pull these things off. A few days earlier, or later, and the weather would have been a factor too. Its been an unusual weather month for the high sierra.

Edited by livingontheroad on 08/05/2014 18:41:36 MDT.

Peter Bakwin
(pbakwin) - F
Darcy on 08/06/2014 08:00:18 MDT Print View

Darcy also failed to complete her FKT attempt. So, it's 0 for 3 on JMT record attempts this year!

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: record attempt on 08/06/2014 08:04:29 MDT Print View

I just wanted to announce mine and Marko's record attempt - slowest known time for the SOBO JMT.

We have trained long and hard for this - my own training involved moving to Texas, sitting on a couch and eating a dump truck load of queso and chips and drinking margaritas until my head swam. I feel that personally, I'm ready for this challenge.

My only worry is that I'll get my fitness back after the first week or so of walking up mountain passes and at altitude. I'm trying hard to not let this distract me from my goal of the SKT...but as we elite athletes are well aware, most of these record attempts are purely mental.

Feel free to follow my Delorme tracking - if you don't fall asleep while I take afternoon naps, read with my feet in a stream, stop to take amazing photos, and chat with friendly hikers nearby.

Thanks for all your support, and Marko...good luck.

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: Re: record attempt on 08/06/2014 08:22:10 MDT Print View

Jennifer - we know from your interjections on other speed related threads that your preference is going slow. as you well know, competition is one of the central elements for the advancement of human civilization.
if you actually know what the SOBO slowest time is, and are seriously going to try and beat it, I commend you for your determination and tenacity.

Edited by asandh on 08/06/2014 08:23:27 MDT.

Ralph Burgess
(ralphbge) - F
Re: Darcy on 08/06/2014 10:33:11 MDT Print View

"Darcy also failed to complete her FKT attempt. So, it's 0 for 3 on JMT record attempts this year!"

Hey! Ok, ok, since I wasn't actually attempting to break a record, I guess you're right.

Bob Moulder
(bobmny10562) - F - M

Locale: Westchester County, NY
Re: Re: Darcy on 08/06/2014 11:04:22 MDT Print View

I was wondering about that, Ralph!

I really enjoyed reading your recap and actually learned a thing or two from it.

Not enough pre-hike fanfare, it seems; better publicity before you do the yo-yo!! ;-)

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

um...SKT on 08/06/2014 12:35:50 MDT Print View

Um, Art, I hope you do get it that I was being self-depricating in my speed-related posts - I very much want to run a 100miler for my 50th birthday. I'm a slow poke but not by choice, it's just what's happened in middle age ;)

The whole idea of a slowest-known-time is simply my making fun of myself for getting fat and lazy these past few years.

But if you have to explain a joke, then I guess it wasn't a very good one, then, was it?

Dave T
(DaveT) - F
SKT on 08/06/2014 13:10:52 MDT Print View

Jennifer, I thought it was funny. Be aware that all these SO EXTREME MUST COMPETE!!! folks don't take kindly to excess commentary, funny or no. Also, are you anti-advancement of human civilization?

(That said... somewhere, someone is doing something amazing and not telling a single person about it.)

Edited by DaveT on 08/06/2014 13:13:44 MDT.

Sharon J.
(squark) - F

Locale: SF Bay area
Re: SKT on 08/06/2014 13:23:13 MDT Print View

Speaking of weird records, this may interest you, Jen:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-28621775

Ben Crocker
(alexdrewreed) - M

Locale: Kentucky
Texas two step on 08/06/2014 13:30:17 MDT Print View

I spent a few years in Texas(Austin) too, Jen. For me, it was the Shiner, brisket and 100 degree days that kept me on the couch. But you'll bounce back.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Texas two step on 08/06/2014 13:39:04 MDT Print View

Mummm, Shiner Bock! Really good, locally made and cheap. I did most of my grad school problems sets slightly buzzed on Shiner!

Art ...
(asandh) - F
Re: um...SKT on 08/06/2014 17:55:55 MDT Print View

Jennifer - you don't have to explain your joke, by now I get it, but each time you tell it, it seems even more like an inside joke of the anti fast folks, and an invitation for them to run in and trash talk those who make an effort, especially given the context.
but its your joke so have a good laugh.

on the other hand, as someone who's probably 15 years your senior and runs 100 milers, I can honestly tell you that simply wanting to run a 100 is not going to get it done. if you really want this goal then have at it. all respect whether you succeed or fail, the journey is the joy.

Edited by asandh on 08/06/2014 17:58:31 MDT.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Re: Re: um...SKT on 08/06/2014 18:52:10 MDT Print View

Art, it's an inside joke of someone who used to be fast, misses being fast, and instead makes a joke about getting fat and out of shape instead of facing the reality that I am very fat and out of shape.

I'm sorry if you interpret that as an "anti-fast" rant - because OHMYGOD it is most decidedly not. I would love to be fast. I think fast thrus are awesome, I follow their blogs/trip diaries/SPOTs etc. I have been dreaming of running the Marathon du Sables for 15 years. I used to adventure race. It was one of the coolest things I've ever done.

And I'm not an idiot - of course I know running a 100-miler takes more than just sitting on the couch, eating brisket and drinking shiner bock (yum!) - although that would most certainly be cool! - so lighten up, dude. I'm making fun of myself.

Michael L
(mpl_35) - MLife

Locale: The Palouse
Re: Re: Re: um...SKT on 08/06/2014 19:06:54 MDT Print View

Jen,

Even I got and appreciated your posts....and you know how often we disagree! Art just gets sensitive because some people DO criticize speed attempts.

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Re: Re: Re: Re: um...SKT on 08/06/2014 19:12:56 MDT Print View

Michael, I think we've agreed on like TWO things now!!!

What is going on with the world?? We might have to -gasp!- go on a hike together and you can teach me about photography!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: um...SKT on 08/06/2014 19:18:18 MDT Print View

"We might have to -gasp!- go on a hike together and you can teach me about photography!"

I want to be on that hike. With a video camera....

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: um...SKT on 08/06/2014 19:56:52 MDT Print View

I want to see Michael, Jennifer, and Doug together : )

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: SKT on 08/07/2014 00:32:30 MDT Print View

"Speaking of weird records, this may interest you, Jen:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-28621775"

Wasn't that a Monty Python skit? But seriously, that guy makes the Tibetan pilgrims that genuflect over and over again for hundreds of miles all the way to Lhasa or some shrine say "that guy must be an idiot!"