How long would these foods last without refrigeration?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Roger Dodger
(RogerDodger) - F

Locale: Wess Siide
Mission brand tortilla on 07/22/2014 15:07:27 MDT Print View

I had the same experience as Jen.
Mission tortillas have longer time than other brands I've tried before they mold.

I've had reasonably good luck with bagels lasting a long time without spoilage.
Baby pitas from trader joe's too are good.
King's hawaiian bread rolls are good too. they are not fluffy and not dense, so they take up a lot of space for the weight, but it's not that bad, because after you eat them, they are gone from your bear can :)

external contamination:
I try to keep the finger/bread handling to a minimum, by separating and sliding out the piece that I want, from the outside of the bag, basically using the plastic bag as a finger barrier.

Moisture:
I put paper towels inside the bread bag to absorb moisture. Unopened Single serving Salt & Pepper packets are good too if you don't have silica.

oxidization:
squeeze as much air as you can. air has humidity...

Green blue mold:
read up on how penicillin was discovered, a new appreciation for the oldie and moldy.

Edited by RogerDodger on 07/22/2014 15:08:17 MDT.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Mustard on 07/22/2014 19:53:16 MDT Print View

Mustard requires refrigeration? I've been storing mustard and sriracha sauce unrefrigerated in my office for months and eating a little every day. Always tastes good.

Justin Whitson
(ArcturusBear1) - F

Locale: BPL purgatory
Re: Re: Bacpacker recent issue on 07/22/2014 22:08:51 MDT Print View

I'm going to assume and hope that Romano is similar to Parmesan, because i much prefer the former to the latter.

David Thomas
(DavidinKenai) - MLife

Locale: North Woods. Far North.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Bacpacker recent issue on 07/22/2014 22:20:45 MDT Print View

Unlike Jennifer, my TJs tortillas lasted at least 8 days - I just ate my last Roast Beef-Cheddar-Cream Cheese wrap after crossing the Arctic Circle (southbound) this morning. Now, I did keep them in soft cooler for 3 days. Then in airplane luggage on 3 flights for 4,000 miles (it's cool at 33,000 feet), then in the rental-car trunk from Fairbanks to the Brooks Range. Then in my pack for two days (also in Gates of the Arctic).

Edited to add: I'm now home, and the TJ tortillas have gone another 300 miles by road, spent a day in Fairbanks, two more flights, and a night in the hallway before I unpacked. And are still fine.

YMMV. Based on your climate.

But based on the above info, I'd go with the Mission ones in the future.

Edited by DavidinKenai on 07/23/2014 18:02:26 MDT.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: Cheese on 07/23/2014 22:33:22 MDT Print View

Justin,

Romano is the same - mostly. It just has to do with where it is made and what milk is used. It can often be made with sheep or goat's milk, although cow is used also.

Both it and Parmesan are hard, salty - and delicious - cheese :-)