Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
What do YOU use to carry alcohol?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Packman Pete
(packmanpete) - MLife

Locale: Rainy Portland
What do YOU use to carry alcohol? on 07/20/2014 22:13:38 MDT Print View

I don't mean rum or whisky. I'm talking about fuel for your stove. I sometimes use the HEET bottle itself. Some people claim to use a Platypus bottle, but they seem huge. I'd like to know what y'all use. And I want to know if it's OK to carry it in your cook pot. Also, is there a place to buy smallish red bottles with a leakproof spout? That seems ideal.

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: What do YOU use to carry alcohol? on 07/20/2014 22:25:36 MDT Print View

Try one of these in the 0.5 l (8 oz) size:

http://www.amazon.com/Platypus-Soft-Bottle-Closure-1-Liter/dp/B00AZVN4NY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1405916519&sr=8-2&keywords=platypus+soft+bottle

You can also order any side plastic bottlerm from US Plastics for very cheap:http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?sku=66817

Search around there, there are many choices.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: What do YOU use to carry alcohol? on 07/20/2014 22:34:29 MDT Print View

It depends an awful lot on what quantity you want to carry, and the form factor that you want this container to fit. There are a few Platypus-style containers. I tend to use a flatish plastic 8-ounce bottle. Some use an 8-ounce flimsy plastic drink bottle. I've also used small 8-ounce plastic wide mouth jars, if they fit better.

The long neck on a HEET bottle is OK for pouring, but its tall form factor seems kind of awkward.

--B.G.--

Steven Paris
(saparisor) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: What do YOU use to carry alcohol? on 07/20/2014 22:40:44 MDT Print View

I use a Target 8 fl oz plastic pharmacy/medicine bottle.

Best of all, it was FREE. I just asked if I could have one.

Paul Magnanti
(PaulMags) - MLife

Locale: People's Republic of Boulder
Mtn dew bottle on 07/20/2014 23:02:27 MDT Print View

A small Mountain Dew bottle (or Sprite)

A 12 oz bottle is about the right size. It is green so you are less likely to accidentally drink it and comes with fizzy sugar water!

Edited by PaulMags on 07/20/2014 23:07:15 MDT.

Sean Nordeen
(Miner) - F - M

Locale: SoCAL
What do YOU use to carry alcohol? on 07/20/2014 23:40:42 MDT Print View

Any plastic bottle that won't leak if turned upside down. Make sure its different from what you use to carry water. People have tried drinking their fuel for some reason.

Since I normally only cook dinner, usually an 8oz container will last me for a long section (9-10 days) with my stove setup and the fact that I only look for bubbles in my pot and not a rolling boil to rehydrate my food. Occasionally I'll use the HEET bottle it came in but thats only if I don't think I'll find alcohol at the next resupply or two and need to carry a lot.

Edited by Miner on 07/20/2014 23:42:17 MDT.

Randy Welch
(Sage)
Sriracha bottle on 07/21/2014 03:59:27 MDT Print View

Sriracha bottle....great nozzle. No leaks, no kidding.

Kevin Babione
(KBabione) - MLife

Locale: Pennsylvania
Carrying Alcohol Fuel on 07/21/2014 06:04:36 MDT Print View

For weekend trips I use one of these that I washed out:

GoGo Squeeze

It holds 90 ml of fuel (boils 5-6 pints using my Caldera Cone) and weighs just 5 grams empty.

I've never had one leak, but I do keep it in my pot for protection. I also empty it back into my main fuel can when I get home so I can't say how it does with long-term storage.

spelt with a t
(spelt) - F

Locale: SW/C PA
Re: Sriracha bottle on 07/21/2014 06:33:28 MDT Print View

FWIW I like a Sriracha bottle for olive oil at home. For alcohol, I had been using a 3 oz plastic bottle from the travel section of the drug store. I recently found a Capri Sun pouch with a replaceable lid and am going to try that next trip.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Does 95% alcohol dissolve PET bottle? on 07/21/2014 07:33:10 MDT Print View

Does 95% alcohol dissolve PET bottle?

I'm thinking more about alcohol for drinking and whether it gets contaminated

Zorg Zumo
(BurnNotice) - F
Some Bottles are bad JuJu on 07/21/2014 07:53:56 MDT Print View

Alcohol doesn't dissolve PET. A small soda bottle works fine. But I recommend that you do something to make it obvious that it contains alcohol. Mr. Yeuck! stickers, spray paint, sharpee marker, something. I've seen it first-hand - somebody takes a swig from water bottle containing SLX. And I damn sure wouldn't have anything around that looked like a snack to kids.

Packman Pete
(packmanpete) - MLife

Locale: Rainy Portland
US Plastics on 07/21/2014 08:12:56 MDT Print View

Charges ninety cents for a bottle and shnozzle cap and nine dollars for shipping.

Daaaaamnnn!

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Some Bottles are bad JuJu on 07/21/2014 09:33:34 MDT Print View

I use two identical PET bottles - one for alcohol, one for drinking water

Once, I rinsed off glasses with alcohol that I thought was water. Fortunately only a little bit wasted before I figured it out.

Another time I took a swig from what I thought was water. Definitely yuck.

Now I mark the alcohol bottle with a bunch of red.

Bob Moulder
(bobmny10562) - M

Locale: Westchester County, NY
Re: US Plastics on 07/21/2014 10:11:27 MDT Print View

The 2-oz and 4-oz flat ovals fit easily inside my pot along with stove and windscreen, cup, spoon and lighter.

I like the flip-top caps which squirt fuel without dripping. I tested by squeezing the bottles very hard and they do not leak.

.fuel bottle 4 oz

.fuel bottle flip cap

Edited by bobmny10562 on 07/21/2014 10:12:57 MDT.

John Jonas
(hjuan99) - MLife
no leaks? on 07/21/2014 12:15:39 MDT Print View

That's interesting that the US plastic flip tops don't leak....I tried the REI flip top caps (boston rounds is what they call them) and they do leak...

Jennifer Mitol
(Jenmitol) - M

Locale: In my dreams....
Re: no leaks? on 07/21/2014 13:13:34 MDT Print View

I have the flip top bottles from REI and they haven't leaked at all. I do the same - shut them and squeeze hard to make sure they are solid...and they are.

So far so good anyway.

I like them because I can roll the caldera cone around mine, slap a thick rubber band around it (the kind that hold carrots together) and put it inside the pot. Super nice set up for up to 5 days (the 4oz bottle anyway).

Trying to figure out what to carry for alcohol tho on the last leg of the JMT. 12 oz or so should do me just fine...what to use, what to use....

Joshua A
(Aberrix) - M
Re: no leaks? on 07/21/2014 13:34:36 MDT Print View

I found the same of REI flip top bottles, that if i close them and squeeze a bunch of air leaks out thus leading me to believe they are not leak proof.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: no leaks? on 07/21/2014 13:57:29 MDT Print View

Minimizing leaks will depend on the air bubble inside the bottle. Let's assume that you have an 8-ounce bottle with 7 ounces of liquid and 1 ounce of air bubble inside, and that you cap it at sea level. Then if you take it up to 10,000 feet elevation, the air pressure outside is reduced, so the air bubble tries to leak out of the cap. Taking it the other way around, assume that you have the same contents and that you cap it at 10,000 feet elevation. Then if you take it down to sea level, the air pressure outside is increased, and that squeezes on the bottle, trying to force the liquid out of the cap. You can minimize that problem by squeezing the air bubble out before you tighten the cap, but you can go only so far with that unless you use a Platypus-style container.

--B.G.--

Bob Moulder
(bobmny10562) - M

Locale: Westchester County, NY
Re: no leaks? on 07/21/2014 14:08:11 MDT Print View

I held them inverted with full fuel and pressed hard with both thumbs (conservatively, approx. 40 lbs of pressure, likely more) and no leaking.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Re: Re: no leaks? on 07/21/2014 14:21:29 MDT Print View

Air pressure drops by about half if you go up 18,000 feet elevation, so squeeze out half the air bubble to start to avoid any pressure. Less elevation gain - proportionally less.

Elevation loss isn't a problem - bottle just collapses a little, and if it leaked, air would go into bottle.

Maybe it's "belt and suspenders", but sometimes bottles leak.