Forum Index » Gear Lists » JMT gear?

Display Avatars Sort By:
brian fitzmartin
(brianfitz) - F

Locale: philadelphia PA
JMT gear? on 08/30/2007 05:24:39 MDT Print View

i want to hike the JMT as a 40th birthday present. this is gear i have available to use for my big 3.
packs -golte jam
mld zip
sleeping bag- jacks r better
stealth 40 degree
montbell #3 30 degree
shelter- gatewood cape

once i have these work out i'll move on to the rest

Edited by brianfitz on 08/30/2007 10:15:38 MDT.

Colleen Clemens
(tarbubble) - F

Locale: dirtville, CA
do you want input? on 08/31/2007 10:15:12 MDT Print View

sorry, not sure if you're asking for opinions & suggestions.

if you can layer other clothes enough to make that 40 degree quilt work at 30 degrees (occasionally a little bit colder), then go for it. i personally can't do the Sierras with any bag rated higher that 20 degrees, but i'm a cold-blooded woman. ;)

have you used the gatewood in heavy inclement weather? i just keep thinking about AYCE's article he wrote after using a poncho tarp to do the JMT back in 2003 (it can still be read over at thru-hiker.com). admittedly, that was a heavy-weather year, but on the JMT you never know.

when are you planning on doing it?

brian fitzmartin
(brianfitz) - F

Locale: philadelphia PA
looking for input on 09/01/2007 06:36:50 MDT Print View

anything that will help. how many days? time of year? i don't the money to buy more gear. so i have make do with what i have .crampons, ice axe, and the like are out.this will most likely be a solo trip. a popular time of year would be nice for the company.water treatment filter or chemical.bear canister hard plastic or ursack with liner. i have no experience with either. i have never been above treeline in may life ,will i need time to adjust.north to south trip.this is all i can think of right now.once again any to help take the guess work .just want to hike the trail no fishing .

Edited by brianfitz on 09/01/2007 07:00:45 MDT.