Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Avoiding nasty hiking partners...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Mongoose? Moi? ;o) on 07/27/2014 15:17:40 MDT Print View

Eric,

You do know that sometimes when a women is aggressive to a man it means they are hiding
Affection ;-)

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Re: Mongoose? Moi? ;o) on 07/27/2014 17:47:46 MDT Print View

That is the pitfall I was alluding to before. If he is snippy back to her she may decide he is the man of her dreams. :-0

I think that is how my Aunt and Uncle got together.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Love/hate relationship?? on 07/27/2014 19:25:38 MDT Print View

God forbid I should encourage her!

Anyway, I'm married and, as one wise man once told me, "Don't disappoint more than one woman at a time."

Stephen M
(stephenm) - MLife

Locale: The Great Lakes Bay Region
Re: Love/hate relationship?? on 07/27/2014 19:35:18 MDT Print View

I hear you Eric :-)

Kathleen B
(rosierabbit) - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
"Avoiding nasty hiking partners..." on 07/27/2014 20:05:59 MDT Print View

So how did it go? Are they back from the trip? Any feedback from the others who went and endured? Any progress getting through to her?

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: Love/hate relationship?? on 07/27/2014 20:29:54 MDT Print View

"Anyway, I'm married and, as one wise man once told me, "Don't disappoint more than one woman at a time." "

I like Garrison Keillor's: "I can jade a woman myself, I don't need one pre-jaded." :-)

Ian B.
(IDBLOOM) - MLife

Locale: PNW
Don't disappoint more than one woman at a time on 07/27/2014 20:54:42 MDT Print View

And with that one woman...

You can be right

or

You can be happy

(Best advice my old section chief ever gave me)

Katherine .
(Katherine) - F

Locale: pdx
different contexts on 07/28/2014 12:52:39 MDT Print View

Bummer she was so bad that you felt her presence would ruin the upcoming trip. I'm sure you made the right decision for you.

A backpacking trip can easily alter to one's mood. If she was lagging behind, sounds like the trip was a challenge for her and that may have raised her overall crankiness level.

Conversely, others might be far more pleasant while doing something they love and being away from work or family pressures.

Personally, in group backpacking situations I'm more quiet and reserved than I would be in other contexts -- mainly cause I'm saving my breath to keep up. I can recall a moment on a group trip where I may have seemed rudely unresponsive to a fellow backpacker, but I just couldn't handle hiking uphill and talking at the same time.