Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Squirrel chewed through my mesh tent wall! Help!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Gardner
(splproductions) - F - M

Locale: Salt Lake City, UT
Squirrel chewed through my mesh tent wall! Help! on 08/29/2007 16:25:01 MDT Print View

Alright, everyone laugh, I left food in my tent, and now there is a hole in the no-see-um mesh body. Anybody know how to fix something like this? It seems like sewing into no-see-um mesh wouldn't work. Any ideas?

Edited by splproductions on 08/29/2007 16:43:49 MDT.

Ryan Gardner
(splproductions) - F - M

Locale: Salt Lake City, UT
Re: Squirrel chewed through my mesh tent wall! Help! on 08/29/2007 16:27:17 MDT Print View

tent hole....

Colleen Clemens
(tarbubble) - F

Locale: dirtville, CA
Re: Squirrel chewed through my mesh tent wall! Help! on 08/29/2007 16:38:10 MDT Print View

no-see-um can be sewn, but the repair will likely depend on how many rows of the fabric's weave have been damaged. to be on the safest side, you'll need to get a small square of no-see-um mesh. you can get small pieces from REI, or order a yard from thru-hiker.com. the thru-hiker mesh will be substantially lighter.

cut the square so that it is larger than the tear by roughly 2", and then either hand-sew the patch or glue it in place. most kind of glue should work, but using something like thinned silicone caulk (or silicon seam sealer) will be more flexible than something like super glue, which will be stiff.

anyway, that's what i would do. looking forward to seeing others' suggestions.

Phil Barton
(flyfast) - MLife

Locale: Oklahoma
Re: Squirrel chewed through my mesh tent wall! Help! on 08/29/2007 17:14:01 MDT Print View

Isn't that why they invented duct tape?

Actually, Colleen's advice sounds just right.

Sam .
(samurai) - F

Locale: NEPA
Re: Squirrel chewed through my mesh tent wall! Help! on 09/08/2007 10:23:29 MDT Print View

>"Anybody know how to fix something like this?"

A small patch of squirrel pelt works well.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Squirrel chewed through my mesh tent wall! Help! on 09/08/2007 15:28:48 MDT Print View

Yeah, I know the problem. I use a very light mesh, much more fragile than the heavy no-see-um, and holes happen - snags or animals.

> cut the square so that it is larger than the tear by roughly 2", and then either hand-sew the patch
That's what I do, although I probably only allow 1" of overlap. I pitch the tent (actually, I often do the repair in the field anyhow), pin the patch to the fabric, then use a long needle. I run the needle in and out of the material several times before pulling the thread through - makes sewing fairly fast. I usually do a loop or two at the corners so the thread does not get pulled tighter than the mesh.

I tried glue and double-sided tape: they didn't work that well for me.

Stephen Boyd
(sim)

Locale: Minnesowtah
Re: Re: Squirrel chewed through my mesh tent wall! Help! on 09/09/2007 03:43:02 MDT Print View

Sam Francis said...."A small patch of squirrel pelt works well."

For some stupid reason this made me laugh out loud.

Thank you for an excellent start to a Sunday morning.

Steve

Sam .
(samurai) - F

Locale: NEPA
Re: Re: Squirrel chewed through my mesh tent wall! Help! on 09/11/2007 21:19:38 MDT Print View

;-)

Edited by samurai on 09/11/2007 21:21:05 MDT.