Forum Index » GEAR » "Haglöfs wins design award for sleeping bag"

Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Gillenwater
(mwgillenwater) - M

Locale: Seattle area
"Haglöfs wins design award for sleeping bag" on 07/16/2014 15:00:31 MDT Print View

http://www.gearexposure.com/haglofs-wins-design-award-sleeping-bag/

How innovative. I don't think anyone has thought of this before. Much less made a product like it.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: "Haglöfs wins design award for sleeping bag" on 07/16/2014 15:38:53 MDT Print View

"+1°C T sleeping bag only weighs 473 grams.". No zipper: wriggle in.

A ZPack is -1°C and weighs 397 grams , with a 3/4 zipper.

It's certainly a HYOH kind of thing, but I have no desire to walk around in my sleeping bag.

Edited by greg23 on 07/16/2014 15:47:09 MDT.

Mike Gunderloy
(ffmike) - M
Sleeping Bag on 07/16/2014 15:42:42 MDT Print View

Maybe they're trying to dominate the cold-weather sack race competitions.

Michael Gillenwater
(mwgillenwater) - M

Locale: Seattle area
Re: Sleeping Bag on 07/16/2014 15:45:19 MDT Print View

Not that it is not obvious, but the original post is sarcasm. Just in case someone is confused.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Re: Sleeping Bag on 07/16/2014 15:49:44 MDT Print View

The post, or the award?

Edited by greg23 on 07/16/2014 15:53:24 MDT.

Bily Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: Sleeping Bag on 07/16/2014 15:51:17 MDT Print View

Dumb.

With the bag being tapered in the leg section it would be extremely awkward to walk... and a draw cord at the bottom would leak cold air... and no zipper would be possible, but awkward to get inside ... and zPacks makes one lighter with a zipper...

Dudes... there are reasons sleeping bags have zippers and baffled foot sections

Dumb Dumb Dumb....

Valerie E
(Wildtowner) - M

Locale: Grand Canyon State
RE: Haglöfs wins design award for sleeping bag on 07/16/2014 16:08:33 MDT Print View

So.... I guess the OutDoor Friedrichshafen (the organization that gave out the award) doesn't keep up with developments in the USA -- 'cuz the Haglöfs bag is a less effective version of the Feathered Friends Rock Wren.

Yes, the Haglöfs is lighter (but I bet it wouldn't EN test to the same temperature as the Rock Wren), but what's the point of stumbling around with your arms bound to your sides inside the warm bag.

The Rock Wren allows you easier in/out access with a partial zipper, and it has arm zippers, so you could actually walk around and drink a cup of coffee in the morning, with the bag acting as a giant, ankle-length down vest!

Check out the Rock Wren, OutDoor Friedrichshafen! ;^)

Marko Botsaris
(millonas) - F - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Re: RE: Haglöfs wins design award for sleeping bag on 07/16/2014 16:12:56 MDT Print View

"what's the point of stumbling around with your arms bound to your sides inside the warm bag."

Maybe hungry Grizzly bears have infiltrated the company's board of directors.

But seriously, I think the comment about waking around must have come from an idiot reviewer. The cinched foot box is a old idea, and nice for very warm weather bags for venting. Not too sure how useful it would be in a bag that warm, but I suppose it could extend the range. I know there have been many nights when my 35 degree Hilite was too warm and laying on top was too cold.

But as other people ave joked - very original (un-enthused sarcastic clapping).

Edited by millonas on 07/16/2014 16:34:35 MDT.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Re: Re: "Haglöfs wins design award for sleeping bag" on 07/16/2014 17:51:38 MDT Print View

A ZPack is -1°C and weighs 397 grams , with a 3/4 zipper.

zpacks aint en-rated ... haglofs would be

often when manufacturers start testing to en-ratings ... they often need to add more insulation weight

;)

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Haglöfs wins design award for sleeping bag on 07/16/2014 17:59:23 MDT Print View

I had to look up L.I.M.
Less Is More

"For Spring/Summer 2014 we reintroduce the L.I.M series, a trekking concept consisting of lightweight products with a clean design for fast and light hiking. Less Is More is an overall design philosophy at Haglöfs but in the L.I.M series it’s taken to extremes. It’s a whole new range of products; clothing, backpacks and footwear with no unnecessary details or features. Only clean, simplistic and packable designs with 100% function for hikers who focus on high speed and low weight."

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Re: RE: Haglöfs wins design award for sleeping bag on 07/16/2014 18:20:09 MDT Print View

Is the Rock Wren EN tested? I don't think so.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
Re: Re: RE: Haglöfs wins design award for sleeping bag on 07/16/2014 18:38:29 MDT Print View

feathered friends arent en-tested

and the current wrens anyways are a different beast from the hagloffs

http://featheredfriends.com/rock-wren-down-sleeping-bag.html

;)

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Haglöfs wins design award for sleeping bag on 07/16/2014 18:47:17 MDT Print View

The Wren LIM DOwn comparison are a bit of a straw man argument from my point of view.
From Haglof :
"In order to minimize weight, the sleeping bag does not have a zipper. Instead,
it is completely open at the bottom, which makes it easy to both let in fresh air and lift the
sleeping bag above your ankles and walk a bit without having to get out of the bag."

From FF :
The zippered arm holes of the Wren series allow you to essentially wear your bag like an uber-warm parka when you're perched 10 pitches up, while the two-way center zip provides a convenient opening to remain tied in while you sleep. Trips out of the tent in the wee hours of the morning are no longer a matter of necessity overcoming endurance; the Wren's drawcord bottom the bag can be opened up and easily slipped above the waist.

In other words "wearable" is the point of the Wren but an "also" type feature with the LIM.