Forum Index » GEAR » Dare I ask... what underwear does everyone use???

Display Avatars Sort By:
Ryan Gardner
(splproductions) - F - M

Locale: Salt Lake City, UT
Dare I ask... what underwear does everyone use??? on 08/29/2007 09:53:41 MDT Print View

I'm moving into the realm of clothing now, trying to get rid of my old "Cotton t-shirt and cargo shorts" uniform I always hike with. So tell me - what do I use for underwear? I wore tighty-whities growing up so I don't care whether it's a boxer-style or brief style.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Synthetic Briefs on 08/29/2007 10:06:13 MDT Print View

Mine are Duofold VariTEC Performance Hydroduct Briefs -- which I believe are discontinued but still available for sale at Amazon.com! I wear them for both traveling and hiking. Comfy and quick drying.

I always buy white undies because you can bleach them from time to time -- so no worries about trapped odors, etc.

Edited by ben2world on 08/29/2007 10:11:07 MDT.

larry savage
(pyeyo) - F

Locale: pacific northwest
yep, I wear underwear on 08/29/2007 10:10:27 MDT Print View

Yep, I wear underwear. I use compression shorts when trying to cover distance, synthetic briefs the rest of the time, later in the fall and winter I'm a fan of briefs with a windfront panel, especially skiing.

Colleen Clemens
(tarbubble) - F

Locale: dirtville, CA
Re: Dare I ask... what underwear does everyone use??? on 08/29/2007 10:12:31 MDT Print View

well, you said "everyone." ;)

i use C9 by Champion panties, which i bought at Target. i'm going to assume you aren't looking for panties, but Target also carries men's C9 athletic underwear (wicking synthetics) which my husband is pretty pleased with.

Chris W
(simplespirit) - MLife

Locale: WNC
Re: undies on 08/29/2007 10:26:12 MDT Print View

Usually none.

Michael Davis
(mad777) - F

Locale: South Florida
Re: "Dare I ask... what underwear does everyone use???" on 08/29/2007 10:30:02 MDT Print View

REI mesh MTS briefs.

Go here

http://www.rei.com/product/705716

and zoom in on the blue color.
You can see that these really are a fairly open mesh.
I love the super ventilation, summer or winter. They give the residents there some breathing space :-)

Phil Stetz
(pstetz) - F
Re: Re: "Dare I ask... what underwear does everyone use???" on 08/29/2007 10:35:21 MDT Print View

I use ex officio briefs.

Ross Novak
(Aurator) - F
Re: Re: "Dare I ask... what underwear does everyone use???" on 08/29/2007 10:42:30 MDT Print View

Coolmax jock

Lightweight and comfortable.

Ryan Faulkner
(ryanf) - F

Locale: Mid atlantic, No. Cal
Re: "Dare I ask... what underwear does everyone use???" on 08/29/2007 10:55:39 MDT Print View

I usually wear a running short with a built in liner.

In the fall and winter seasons, I either wear under armour compression shorts, or my running shorts under my pants, just in case the temps allow me to strip down :)

I think my next trip I might try wearing my triathlon shorts, mimicing michael popov's JMT record clothing.

Shawn Basil
(Bearpaw) - F

Locale: Southeast
what underwear does everyone use? on 08/29/2007 11:39:23 MDT Print View

Unless it's pretty darned cold, nothing.

What little chafing I might have gotten was never helped by any underwear I have ever tried, and usually was worse because of it.

I only own a couple of pairs of "short" underwear for when I shop for pants.

Jesse Glover
(hellbillylarry) - F

Locale: southern appalachians
Re: what underwear does everyone use? on 08/29/2007 11:46:46 MDT Print View

The champion stuff from target is really nice and really cheap.

Steve .
(pappekak) - F

Locale: Tralfamadore
I see Paris, I see France, .... on 08/29/2007 12:02:45 MDT Print View

Terramar Transport Micro-Mesh boxers or briefs sold at Campmor.

Mike Nielsen
(geophagous) - F

Locale: Pacific North West
Under Armor on 08/29/2007 12:04:55 MDT Print View

I have had some chaffing issues in the past so I was looking for something to solve that for me.

I love the Under Armor Boxer Jock Long boxer briefs. Basically they are a very light compression short with a full function fly. Very comfortable, breatheable. No chaffing since wearing them.

Kevin Lutz
(EazyE) - F
Re: Dare I ask... what underwear does everyone use??? on 08/29/2007 12:21:48 MDT Print View

Patagonia cap. synthetic boxer briefs. Love them so much I won't wear anything else when backpacking or kayaking.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Re: Dare I ask... what underwear does everyone use??? on 08/29/2007 12:34:03 MDT Print View

I normally just wear a pair of cotton boxer-briefs. They work well enough for me. I've also gone without when the temps are really hot.
I've thought about buying some running shorts with built-in liner but have yet to do so. I did ski down a mountain in a pair one time. It was 20* and sleeting. You should have seen how proud my parents were when I got to the bottom...

Adam

Robert Devereux
(robdev) - F

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA
Icebreaker boxers on 08/29/2007 12:37:31 MDT Print View

I like Icebreaker's 200 g/m2 boxers. Synthetic stuff generally feels uncomfortable to me on the second day, while wool stuff is fine for many days.

Thomas Knighton
(Tomcat1066) - F

Locale: Southwest GA
With Liberty and Undies for all on 08/29/2007 12:40:20 MDT Print View

I picked up a couple of pairs of moisture wicking boxer briefs in JC Penny's for backpacking. Unfortunately, I didn't see the Champion C9 stuff at Target before hand. I've got a couple of the C9 shirts that work great and feel great :)

Mitchell Keil
(mitchellkeil) - F

Locale: Deep in the OC
Again with the Underwear Question! on 08/29/2007 12:44:15 MDT Print View

How many times do we have to have this conversation. I count at least 2 other times this has been the subject of a thread.

But since I can't resist the voyeur quality of this question here goes my stock answer:

RoadRunnerSport.com carries one of the best high performance jocks out there. It also comes as a snug brief.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRM460/

Caution. this is a new version of the one I have used for the past 5 years and is made slightly looser in the leg. If you have chubby legs, great. If not you may have to use a sewing machine (as my wife did for me) to reduce the leg opening. 3 pairs for $25.

Joshua Mitchell
(jdmitch) - F

Locale: Kansas
Re: Again with the Underwear Question! on 08/29/2007 12:59:14 MDT Print View

Yeah, it gives me a chuckle every time you post that.

Me, I'm partial to the Merona Brand seamless synthetic TRUNKS (note, there is a Briefs, a Boxer, and a Boxer Brief, the trunks are a shorter version of the boxer briefs). I like the trunks because my legs are the most muscular part of me body and boxer briefs tend to tug the waist down uncomfortably, and the trunks give support, wick well and still protect the most chafable parts.

I'd like to try some merino... I'll probably spring for a pair of the new icebreaker seamless when they launch.

Steve .
(pappekak) - F

Locale: Tralfamadore
Re: Re: Again with the Underwear Question! on 08/29/2007 13:12:16 MDT Print View

Where is Kevin D. with his Borat picture when you need him?