Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Can we talk down quitls, your help appreciated
Display Avatars Sort By:
jimmy b
(jimmyb) - F
Can we talk down quitls, your help appreciated on 07/12/2014 17:39:55 MDT Print View

Ok, so my luck in finding a set lightweight bags for warmer weather has not gone well. It may be for the best as I am now seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on a set of EE quilts for the wife and I. We have never used quilts before.,

Our problem is we are back to BPing after a long time. So much has changed and the reinvestment in gear so far was substantial for two. Thankfully our kit is complete for the colder temps using our WM versalites.

Somewhere around say 40 those bags become overkill weight and temp wise for us. (Keep in mind we are both cold sleepers) So I am thinking of purchasing a set of 30 or 40 deg.F quilts. Which temp is still up in the air but leaning toward the 30's to extend its use and price is pretty close.

Now my question is down power. Are 800, 850 and 900 fills going to offer the same insulating power given the proper amounts of fill to achieve EE's ratings with the only difference being the amount of fill and total finished weight? If so it is a lot easier on funds now to go with something like an EE revelation in 800 fill than a 900 fill revelation pro.

As always thanks for any help you guys and gals can offer. It is ALWAYS sincerely appreciated and I am open to any helpful comments.

jimmyb

Jonathan Chin
(JonRC) - MLife

Locale: Northwoods
Re: Can we talk down quitls, your help appreciated on 07/12/2014 18:23:50 MDT Print View

"Are 800, 850 and 900 fills going to offer the same insulating power given the proper amounts of fill to achieve EE's ratings with the only difference being the amount of fill and total finished weight?"

Essentially, yes. The quilts should all be equally warm as they are designed to provide the same loft (i.e., insulation), regardless of fill power.

Technically, though, there will be a few other differences. The most substantial difference between 800-900 fill will be price. Also, the higher fill power down will compress a bit better, though some evidence suggests the lower fill power down will retain it's loft better in wet/humid environments.

In short, if price matters, I'd go with the 800 fill.

jimmy b
(jimmyb) - F
Thanks on 07/13/2014 04:42:38 MDT Print View

Thanks for the reply Johnathan.

jimmyb

Packman Pete
(packmanpete) - MLife

Locale: Rainy Portland
Re: Can we talk down quitls, your help appreciated on 07/13/2014 10:15:23 MDT Print View

I have plenty of quilt experience, and came to some conclusions. I agree with the above-fill power is a function of how much down is needed to get an equivalent warmth. As in any 30* quilt will keep you reasonably warm at 30*, but the higher down fill number will be lighter and more compressible and will cost more.

I wouldn't look any further than the EE Enigma. The head to foot baffles are vastly superior to the side to side baffles on every other quilt I've seen. Seriously-that's the best quilt design ever, and I have tried them all.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Can we talk down quitls, your help appreciated on 07/13/2014 10:30:27 MDT Print View

Hi JimmyB,
I bought an EE Enigma w/ 800FP a few months ago, after considering a range of quilts/bags. Made spreadsheet comparing weights/costs/FP etc and posted here:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=88500

Perhaps you will find that thread helpful.

I might have gone with a higher FP for the Enigma, if it had been available in untreated down. In a few years, if treated down is still around and makers like Western Mountaineering are using it, I'd be less hesitant. For now, I'd rather not buy something with such a short track record, given that I expect to use my down gear for the next 15-20 years.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
Re: Can we talk down quitls, your help appreciated on 07/13/2014 12:21:16 MDT Print View

You said lightweight down quilt

A quilt with 2.5 oz/yd2 synthetic insulation isn't much heavier than a down quilt for the same warmth. Maybe warm down to 40 F. Probably wearing something inside.

Makes a good piece of equipment for your repertoir if you do many trips in warmer weather. The fact that it's more water resistant is useful.

Peter Boysen
(peterboysen) - MLife
quilts on 07/14/2014 14:29:34 MDT Print View

I work at EE, and what's mentioned above about using less down (by weight) to get the same loft and thus insulation is correct. Also, while I tend to prefer down quilts, for a warmer weather quilt a synthetic isn't a bad way to go. The price is lower, and it handles moisture/sweat, etc. with a lot less fuss, and easier to clean too. It's a bit less compressible, and doesn't have the same longevity as down, but at those temps it's a really good option.

Chad B
(CenAZwalker) - F

Locale: Southwest
Synthetic Quilt for Warmer Temps on 07/14/2014 15:20:39 MDT Print View

I'm going to second what Peter said about synthetic and higher temp rated quilts. I went with a synthetic 50* summer quilt for the very reasons he pointed out. Mainly, it is easier to wash than a down quilt after I have been sweating all over it. Plus, I can use it in conjunction with my 20* quilt on cold winter nights to help keep condensation out of my down.

Joe L
(heyyou) - MLife

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr
Gear Swap on 07/14/2014 15:49:16 MDT Print View

I buy used gear to see if it suits me. After the test drive, I can either keep that one or sell it on Gear Swap and get a new, slightly different one.

jimmy b
(jimmyb) - F
Quilt advise on 07/19/2014 23:30:54 MDT Print View

I'm a little late in thanking you all for your comments here. Had some vacation time and we were busy putting some miles on. Must have been good hiking, I didn't think a bit about gear for the last week :) Now back to making a decision.

jimmyb

Bob Moulder
(bobmny10562) - M

Locale: Westchester County, NY
Re: Quilt advise on 07/20/2014 20:00:19 MDT Print View

I recently got the EE Prodigy 40 (synthetic) and have used it for about 7 or 8 nights thus far. The convertible foot box is super handy.

It was damp and rained the last couple of trips, and I am so glad it is not a down bag. No loss of loft, and the small amount of dampness it collected from body vapor, ambient humidity and tent condensation dried up very quickly.

I cram it into the pack with no stuff sack and it compresses very nicely; perfect summer East Coast humidity UL sleep solution.

I've not yet used the sleeping pad straps, but the arrangement looks very solid and I expect this quilt to work well into early fall and again starting late spring.

John S
(yamhill) - F - M

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Can we talk down quitls, your help appreciated on 07/21/2014 13:38:38 MDT Print View

I recently made the move to a quilt, specifically a hammock gear burrow 20. The burrow has baffles that run side-to-side. My first time with the quilt was in warm weather - high 40s or low 50s. I found that I could shake the down to the sides of the quilt - effectively extending the useful temperature range for the quilt. In cooler weather the opposite could be done - concentrating the down as needed toward the middle. I chose a wide quilt because I'm generally a side sleeper, and I expect that the extra width facilitates the side-to-side redistribution of the down.

I haven't used a quilt with different baffle orientation, so I'll let others speak to that.

HK Newman
(hknewman) - MLife

Locale: Western US
Quilts.. on 07/21/2014 21:26:29 MDT Print View

I've used EE Enigma (pro and regular) and just went with a long option on one since the difference in weight didn't matter much with the down. More concerned about getting one of their ready to ship quilts in the mail ASAP than saving an oz. FWIW, I sleep better than mummy cut sleeping bag despite moving around when I sleep. Think I do not get wrapped up and trapped. Yes a draft will sneak thru but they'll sneak into a regular sleeping bag that's been partially unzipped to vent, so it balances.

Edited by hknewman on 07/21/2014 21:31:50 MDT.