Installing slider on continuous zipper
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Installing slider on continuous zipper on 07/12/2014 10:38:57 MDT Print View

Couldn't figure it out the other day, then found this video. Short, to the point, and simple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24_71RzEqTE

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: Installing slider on continuous zipper on 07/12/2014 11:24:20 MDT Print View

I just did one yesterday, on a zipper already installed in a pack. The slider was worn.

I didn't need to create a "starter strip", just shoved both ends in.

Also, the video fails to mention that there is a "top side" and "bottom side" to both the zipper and the slider that need to match.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Re: Re: Installing slider on continuous zipper on 07/12/2014 12:20:09 MDT Print View

Good point about the slider, Greg--I was using a double-sided slider, so didn't think mattered.

I tried shoving both ends in, and just couldn't get it--obviously, I had the slider wrong side up. Just tried it again right side up and it worked fine--as you say, no starter strip required.

I may be the only person on BPL who's had problems with this--I searched for a how-to thread here, and didn't find anything. Found another video that recommended removing the teeth from both sides for an inch or so, and using the fabric as a starter--that seemed way too time consuming.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Re: Installing slider on continuous zipper on 07/12/2014 13:12:52 MDT Print View

"Right-side-up" and "stuff-the-ends-in" is a good technique for replacing sliders on any "in place" zipper.

Pick out the stitching that locks the "starter end", push the slider on, and then bar-tack, by hand if you are out in the woods, and you're good to go.

I've done tents, sleeping bags, and packs. I've sent sliders to thru-hikers. It's easy. It works.

Lance Marshall
(Lancem) - F - MLife

Locale: Oregon
Re: Installing slider on continuous zipper on 07/12/2014 14:50:00 MDT Print View

Here's a link to an old thread regarding starting a zipper.
Starting a zipper

David Scheidt
(dscheidt) - F
Re: Re: Installing slider on continuous zipper on 07/12/2014 16:36:38 MDT Print View

For polyester coil zips, the slider doesn't care if it's on "upside up" or "upside down". Most coils don't care if they're installed the same way as their mate is or not, either. If they don't match, the slider is slightly harder to get started, and slightly harder to work, but they work just fine.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Re: Re: Re: Installing slider on continuous zipper on 07/12/2014 17:36:44 MDT Print View

"If it doesn't work, Force It"

No thanks.

ZipSlider4

Notice that there is considerable height above the backing slot to accommodate the bulk of the coil, which is on the "top" of the backing. The bottom surface of the backing is essentially flush with the coil.

Also notice the "top" of the slider has a "guide shoulder" that slides along the edge of the coil, bringing it into the body.

I find it easier to thread and easier to operate when installed correctly.

YMMV.

Edited by greg23 on 07/12/2014 21:55:25 MDT.