Bags? on 07/10/2014 09:11:58 MDT Print View

I counted 7:

1-BPL 50º Quilt
2-WM Summerlite
1-WM Megalite
1-Montbell DH, SS 4
1-Montbell DH, SS 5
1 WM Alpinlite

So, why so many bags? I hike with my family. Most of the time I have to equip 7 people.

All of my kids are out of the house and when we go on trips I take care of outfitting them, especially my wife. Funny thing is, I just pack for my wife and give her her pack with its basics and she adds her items and food, etc. Guess she trusts me.

If we are taking a friend, I like to outfit them, especially, if they are traditional backpackers. We hiked with my son a few weeks ago as he's thru hiking the PCT. My sister in law showed up with some borrowed traditional gear. I am sure the pack she had weighed 6+ lbs. empty. So, I let her keep her big comfortable sleep pad and gave her the rest. I don't think she ever carried more than 13 lbs. I do this so we can all hike the same miles without someone carrying a weight penalty.

I have bought the majority of my bags on the BPL Gear Swap.

Edited by scottbentz on 07/10/2014 09:13:00 MDT.

Richard Lyon
(richardglyon) - MLife

Locale: Bridger Mountains
You're right - too many on 07/10/2014 09:21:46 MDT Print View

After donating a few to the Forest Service or giving to my niece's family, I still own -

WM Sequoia
Feathered Friends Great Auk
Nunatak Arc Ghost
Nunatak Arc Alpinist
Two Nunatak Back Country Blankets

As someone said, I can only use one at a time. Not quite true, as I occasionally use the two BCBs as a couple's system and the Great Auk as an overbag.

JJ Willcoxon
(H2Oboy) - M

Locale: Midwest
I have more than a few now.... on 07/10/2014 09:24:59 MDT Print View

Kelty Light Year 20 (600 Duck Down) My rating: 35 Degrees
Too heavy and far less than it's rating. Heckuva bargain if you're tight on cash I guess?

Marmot Always Summer 45 (650 Duck Down) My rating: 50 Degrees
Relatively light and comfortable to near its rating. No complaints here. I have only used it twice. I picked up the Atom to fill this spot at a bit lighter weight.

Marmot Atom 40 (850+ Goose Down) My rating: 40 Degrees
Very light and comfortable to its rating. At 1 lb. + 6 ozs., this is my current summer bag. The extra money for the Western Mountaineering Summerlite just didn't make sense for me.

Marmot Sawtooth 15 (650 Duck Down) My rating 25 Degrees
Too heavy and doesn't make its rating. It is comfortable and very durable. It was my go to shoulder season bag for a while. I've replaced it with my Western Mountaineering Alpinlite and it doesn't get used anymore.

Mountain Hardware Ultra-lamina 15 ("Thermal Q" Synthetic) My rating Reviewers say it is pretty close to right on its rating.
Very light / compacts very small for a synthetic bag. This is to be my "wet weather" bag. It promises amazing weight and warmth for a synthetic bag. I never bothered to try it out, as I haven't had a trip that called for it, since I purchased it late last year.

WM Alpinlite 20 (850+ Goose Down) My rating 15 Degrees
My favorite bag ever! I could get a bit lighter for the rating. But, I am a side sleeper and the extra room is soooo nice to have and it warms very quickly for a bag with that extra room. The first bag I have owned that comfortably exceeded its manufacturer's rating.

Now that you've called my attention to my bag surplus, I suppose I had better list a few on Gearswap this weekend to pare them down a bit? Thanks for inspiring my "Gear Guilt" complex again.

Peter Boysen
(peterboysen) - MLife
Many quilts on 07/10/2014 09:27:20 MDT Print View

I work for EE, so you'll notice a pretty clear bias here:

I currently have 3 EE quilts (and just sent two to a friend of mine). I live in Minnesota, so temp ranges from summer to winter are huge (100+F in summer, although normally I'm only camping if it's in the 80s or lower, and -20F or so in the winter, which is about my limit as well, unless it's a huge amount of hiking and very little camping). All that said, a couple quilts can cover that range really well. I used a 20 and 40 together this past March down to -15F (plus a down jacket and some snow pants over base layers), and it worked pretty well. Then a 40 works for much warmer temps if you open it up and sprawl a bit, or just the 20 for more shoulder season stuff.

Owen McMurrey
(OwenM) - F - M

Locale: SE US
Re: How many sleeping bags do you own? on 07/10/2014 19:14:24 MDT Print View

Year-round in the Southeast, mostly Alabama and Tennessee. Some early spring and late fall trips out West. Temps rarely reach below the upper teens for either, though we got a couple weeks each of single digits and ~0F here this past winter.
The last several years, I've used three Marmot bags, a Trestle Trails that is just a shell with DriClime liner, plus their 800 fill Arete and Pinnacle. Also use a Sea to Summit Reactor liner during the warmest weeks.
As an exceptionally warm sleeper, the 40 degree Arete is good into the 20s with midweight baselayers for me, and saw the bulk of my use, with the Pinnacle usually only coming out when the temps were 20s or less.

I've switched to quilts for comfort, weight savings, and also because I tend to burrow and breathe into my bags.
Now have two quilts, the 6' Wide Katabatic Palisade, and a 72"(for up to 5'9") Wide Underground Quilts 50F Flight Jacket, both with 850 fill Hyperdry down.
The Palisade is rated for 30F, but with baselayers is more like a 15-20F quilt for me, and has worked down to 0F with heavier bottoms and a down jacket. Hasn't been used, yet, but I recently bought a Goosefeet hood from ZPacks to use with it.
So the Palisade is for 0-50F, while the UGQ quilt is for anything ~50F or above.
I'm keeping my Marmot bags for loaners, and for when/if my girlfriend gets out with me, but the two quilts do it all now.

Sean Nordeen
(Miner) - F - M

Locale: SoCAL
Too Many on 07/11/2014 13:24:17 MDT Print View

I own 5, but that's because 3 are older down sleeping bags that I don't use anymore after moving to lighter down quilts. I use to use a 15F/20F ('98 Pinnacle?), 30F ('06 Hydrogen), 40F ('05 Atom) mummy sleeping bags by marmot (all down). I really should donate them to a scouting troop since they just sit in storage.

I now use a 18.8oz 20F Golite down quilt (original 2008 model) and a recent 12oz HG 40F Burrow down quilt that can be completely opened. As I normally backpack in the higher mountains of the west, I mainly use the 20F quilt for most trips since the weather can turn cold on short notice. The 40F quilt being used for lower elevation trips or summer trips back east when I'm sure the temperatures won't turn cold. There have been many trip that I've used the 20F where the temperatures never dropped below the 40's and I wish I had the lighter quilt, but you just never know. I've seen snow in July in Yosemite, so its better to be safe for trips beyond a 3 day weather forecast. As they are quilts, there is no hood. I find my lightweight Mountain Hardwear balaclava works in most weather down to 20F. Any colder, I can cover part of my head with my quilt pulled up. So my head has never been cold.

Edited by Miner on 07/11/2014 13:35:09 MDT.

Anthony Weston
(anthonyweston) - MLife

Locale: Southern CA
sleeping bags on 07/11/2014 13:46:43 MDT Print View

I have 4 bags:

A feathered Friends UL Vireo is my go to bag for spring and fall.
It weights 20 oz and has 15 oz of 850 fill. (I'm a cold sleeper)
I probably should have ordered this with 12 or 13 oz but too late now.

I also have a feathered Friends Nano Vireo. If it rains this is the bag I take, sheds water so I don't need a bivy and it's breaths well.
It weights 24 oz and has 16 oz of 850 fill.

Both of these bags are good for me from 20 to 40 degrees.

In the winter, I use a zpacks 0 degree bag with 3.75 baffles and 22 oz of 900 fill which weighs 29 oz. Generally the FF bags have a warmer footbox but with so much down this one is Toasty. I'm rarely out in weather colder than 15 degrees so I have not tested this down further than that.

I also have a 15 oz KatabaticGear 40 degree Chisos quilt for the hot weather. Right now Alta Peak in Sequoia at 11,000 feet is supposed to be 50 degrees according to MountainWeather
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Alta-Peak/forecasts/3416

I used to use an EE cubin 30 degree quilt and it was plenty warm enough even in 20 degree weather but too narrow and as a side sleeper, I finally opted a sleeping bag and now I get a more restful sleep and at 20 oz.

Edited by anthonyweston on 07/11/2014 16:59:11 MDT.

d k
(dkramalc) - MLife
Re: sleeping bags on 07/11/2014 13:57:02 MDT Print View

I have 4:

My WM Versalite rated as 10 degrees, (34 oz) which is what I use pretty much all the time.

GoLite Down quilt, 26 oz I think, supposedly 20 degree but definitely not that warm for me...I'm hoping that someday I will do some warmer trips this will be good for. It is much warmer inside a bivy, so it also would work on a trip where I don't want to sleep in a tent...if I ever evolve to tarp or cowboy camping.

My old REI Down Time 3 lb 10 degree bag, not as warm as its rating either, which is what I use if I car camp or for a loaner.

A Slumberjack 2 lb "40 degree" (more like 50-60 degrees!) synthetic rectangular bag which we've used for car camping in Hawaii as a double quilt.

I mostly backpack in the Sierra.

Edited by dkramalc on 07/11/2014 14:04:21 MDT.

Brian Johns
(bcutlerj) - M

Locale: NorCal
How Many Bags on 07/11/2014 14:45:56 MDT Print View

I have three.

Montbell UL Down Hugger SS #2 mummy style (25* and 27 oz.)

Enlightened Equipment Revelation X rectangular quilt (overstuffed down ~35-40* easy and 16 oz.)

Stateless Society Quilt (tapered shape, event footbox and collar, 30* stated but more like 25* also down filled 14 oz.)

The EE quilt is a rectangle when opened with lots of loft, over either of the other bags will handle high single digits. Luckily I have not had to test below that.

Chris S
(csteutterman) - F

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
3 on 07/11/2014 15:44:42 MDT Print View

0* Bag, 20* quilt and 30* quilt. I don't camp when it's around 10*.

Bob Moulder
(bobmny10562) - F - M

Locale: Westchester County, NY
More than I need right now on 07/12/2014 08:18:24 MDT Print View

MH Phantom 45
Marmot plasma 15
Old TNF 40 syn
Nemo Siren quilt 32
EE Prodigy 40 quilt syn
Old Campmor 20 down, 650-700-ish

Used to own several sub-zero types... ID synthetic -20 (HEAVY), WM -25 (light for its rating) and... TA-DA - a Wiggys -20... closest thing to a joke, ever. Finally got Jerry W to honor his policy and take it back after I nearly froze to death.

Any Wiggy stories out there, lol??

kevperro .
(kevperro) - F

Locale: Washington State
Three on 07/12/2014 09:59:23 MDT Print View

First one I bought in 1989 and was my first el-cheapo down bag. It had 550 down and made by Slumberjack. I think the thing is like 3lbs and I've not carried it on a trip since the early 90s.

I bought my second down bag a Feather Friends Hummingbird which was 32 oz. even back in those days. It was used for all my hiking, including winter trips when I would slide it inside the Slumberjack for a five pound winter solution.

As I aged I got too fat for the Hummingbird... so about 2-3 years ago I bought a Marmot Arroyo which is a roomy 30 deg. bag.

The kids or my wife get delegated to the Hummingbird when we hike together so all of them except the Slumberjack get used. I should probably sell the Slumberjack just to clear space.

Mitchell Ebbott
(mebbott) - F - M

Locale: SoCal
Just the two on 07/12/2014 10:28:08 MDT Print View

I only have two quilts. One is a HammockGear Burrow 20º with an ounce of overstuff, the other is that $15 synthetic sleeping bag that was in gear deals a little while back. I cut the hood and zipper off and turned it into a quilt.

I figure for 50º and up, the synthetic quilt will be enough (at least with a jacket). 15º-50º I'll take the Burrow. That's a bit range and yet to be tested, but I think if I adjust my layers underneath enough I can make it work. If I combine the two and add winter layering, I could probably get down to 0º.

Troy Ammons
(tammons) - F
How many sleeping bags do you own? on 07/12/2014 17:36:23 MDT Print View

Have a system quilt of sorts I cooked up.

Base quilt is M50 shell, 2.5oz Apex, zipper on the side so you can open up the inside, regular footbox, silk layer to protect the insul when you open it up. Has nacrobiners sewn into it inside the edges to tie in liners.

Long/tall - 14 oz

1st liner quilt is 5oz apex in a 0.5 oz silk shell. Regular footbox with loops on the edges to fasten into the Base quilt. It can also be used alone.

18 oz

2nd liner is really a hot summer quilt.
I have the materials but have not built it yet.
M50 shell with 2.2 apex or 1.8 Primaloft. It will be a flat summer quilt with a drawstring footbox, with a hole in the middle to be used as an insulated poncho, sleeping quilt etc. It will also have loops to fasten into the base quilt.

Should weigh 8-9 oz

Along with that a goosedown zpacks hood and since I am a hammocker a Hammock Gear 20dF down quilt and a M50 2.5 xp summer UQ.

Sold my old down Snowlion Expedition bag.

Still have my Snowlion Polargurad 35dF bag and one other junker.

If you count the UQs I have 7.

Edited by tammons on 07/12/2014 17:39:58 MDT.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
How many sleeping bags do you own? on 07/12/2014 18:06:52 MDT Print View

5 bags and 2 quilts but only use one at a time....
The plan was to use a quilt on top of a bag but never ended up doing that.
Opted for puffy clothing instead.