Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
How many sleeping bags do you own?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Three on 07/09/2014 14:51:38 MDT Print View

15º Mountain Hardwear Ultralamina gets me through 70% of the season

50º Marmot Nanowave gets me through the summer and I add it to the Ultralamina in deep, deep winter.

I also have... THE GREATEST SLEEPING BAG EVER MADE!

dwdwdwdwdwdrrrrrrr

Seriously, 20ºF and 3.3lbs for $79? I don't really understand how EMS makes a profit. These are great bags. If you need extras for scouts, girlfriends, boyfriends, mothers, fathers, dogs- this is the bag to get.

. Kirby
(Kirby805) - F
Two on 07/09/2014 15:52:58 MDT Print View

Some people have a lot of bags, and nice ones too. Holy cow.

My two:
Marmot Hydrogen 30*
MH Phantom 45*

It rarely, if ever, dips below 20* in the backcountry around here. No need for anything warmer really.

Billy Ray
(rosyfinch) - M

Locale: the mountains
Re: six on 07/09/2014 16:07:53 MDT Print View

Barry P
(BarryP) - F

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)
Re: How many sleeping bags do you own? on 07/09/2014 16:12:00 MDT Print View

When you have a family, the collection goes up:
60F Egyptian Cotton Sheet for hot/humid nights. I need cotton on those nights. My wife sewed 2 of these like a sleeping bag.
45F JRB Stealth 15oz
25F JRB Hudson River 21oz
20F Zpack 17oz – my #1 goto since it’s the lightest and warmest for the Rockies.
30F WM Megalite 24oz (+ a 9oz sweetie pie to convert this for a couple)
35F WM Caribou 21oz (+ a 9oz sweetie pie to convert this for a couple)
5F WM Antelope GWS 46oz
5F EMS (1977 and still going strong with down) 48oz
And 6 synthetic Lumberjack bags that I loan out.
I use a balaclava for my quilts or hooded mummies.

Good thing you didn’t ask about my tent collection!

-May everyone sleep well on the first night.
-Barry
-The mountains were made for Tevas

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: How many sleeping bags do you own? on 07/09/2014 17:16:08 MDT Print View

um ... I think we have 10. That's after selling a few.
All bar 1 are down, and all bar 2 have hoods.

Cheers

Edited by rcaffin on 07/09/2014 17:16:57 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Re: How many sleeping bags do you own? on 07/09/2014 17:26:55 MDT Print View

Check out the gear room threads if you think you have too much stuff. You don't compared to some of them.

Daniel D
(Dandru) - M

Locale: Down Under
Re: How many sleeping bags do you own? on 07/09/2014 18:12:44 MDT Print View

Fairydown bag, 20F - Very old with lots of sentimental value, now used for car camping.
Kathmandu bag, 40F - Mostly for cycle touring
Kelty bag, 20F - Bought for end of season snow use.
EE Enigma Pro quilt, 30F - The new 3 season workhorse, It will go over the Kelty for more snow warmth. It's less than a month old and I've used it for 14 nights.

Ito Jakuchu
(jakuchu) - MLife

Locale: Japan
1 on 07/09/2014 18:16:18 MDT Print View

One. A Katabatic Gear Alsek quilt, long regular.

I would like to get a synth quilt from EE for warmer weather but keep on thinking I will just use my a big synth puffy (Atom SV) and some other clothes.

Edited by jakuchu on 07/10/2014 06:33:43 MDT.

b willi jones
(mrjones) - F

Locale: best place in the world !?
Re: How many sleeping bags do you own? on 07/09/2014 18:46:06 MDT Print View

ive been through a few different bags, but the following are my keepers

katabatic alsek top bag

mld spirit 38 quilt

phd filler bag

these used on their own or in combination cover pretty much all situations for me.
i use them with a bivy/tarp or in my hammock

Edited by mrjones on 07/10/2014 00:02:37 MDT.

David Moreno
(nerrek2000) - F

Locale: North East Ohio
Re: "How many sleeping bags do you own?" on 07/09/2014 19:31:23 MDT Print View

I have 4 of them. 3 down filled for backpacking and one synthetic filled for kayaking trips.

I found that with most mummy bags, the ratings were way off for me since I sleep very cold and don't bring extra clothes (for cutting down on weight) and using a Tarptent.

This is especially the case with ones that have UL wispy fabrics like the North Face and the Marmot bags even with the silk mummy liner I take along.

In NO WIND situations the 20 degree North Face bag only keeps me warm down to about 35 degrees, and to 40 -45 degrees in moderate winds.

In NO WIND situations the 40 degree Marmot Atom bag only keeps me warm down to about 50 degrees, and to 55-60 degrees in moderate wind.

I've solved the problem in my lower temperature bags by adding a little weight (tight weave / laminated shell material) and going with the overfill options.

In moderate wind situations the 30 degree Feathered Friends bag keeps me warm down to about 25-30 degrees.

In moderate wind situations the 15 degree Western Mountaineering bag keeps me warm down to about 15-20 degrees.

The bags I currently have are:

The North Face Fission Mummy Bag 20 degree (old style synthetic fill)

Marmot Atom Mummy Bag 40 degree (old style down fill)

Feathered Friends Merlin 30 degree ("2010" old style with 2.0 oz down overfill throughout the bag with a laminated shell)

Western Mountaineering Apache MF 15 degree (with 1.5 oz overfill in the footbox and 2.0 oz overfill spread throughout the rest of the bag)

I live in NE Ohio and do most of my trips here in the northeast U.S. from the middle of spring to the middle of fall.

I have no complaints with my Western Mountaineering Apache MF bag, but I'm extremely happy with my Feathered Friends Merlin bag. In the next year, I'll be buying a Western Mountaineering Antelope MF (or) GWS bag as well.

Given my slightly unique sleeping requirements that add to the weights, I'd rather have 5 different bags that will cover all temperature ranges I'll encounter than get stuck carrying more weight than I have to. It does get pretty expensive though. I know people that spend $2000 to completely outfit themselves. I'll have spent that just on bags, not including the ones I've sold.

I must be nuts!

M G
(drown) - F - MLife

Locale: Shenandoah
10 on 07/09/2014 19:46:08 MDT Print View

2 MEC 700FP mumy bags that can be mated, these are our car camping bags. They'll last forever.
1 Child's REI synthetic
2 JRB down quilts , light for mid atlantic summers one single, one double
1 WM Versalite
1 Go Lite 20F quilt, but more like 30F
1 EE Enigma 0F
1 MLD synthetic quilt
1 15F Moonstone synthetic mummy

M B
(livingontheroad) - M
sleeping bags on 07/09/2014 20:53:23 MDT Print View

I have 3 good bags,

25F synthetic
30F down
35F down

2 good quilts
40F down
20F down

Edited by livingontheroad on 07/09/2014 20:55:39 MDT.

K C
(KalebC) - F

Locale: South West
RE: Bags on 07/09/2014 21:19:49 MDT Print View

I have 10 bags

5 are synthetic, 1 of which is for backpacking (summer bag), 4 of which are for car camping or loaners.

The other 5 are 15F, 25F, 30F, 30F, and 40F

Two of the above I made myself, my 18oz baffled pertex quantum GL 900 down bag/quilt/blanket is what I use the most.

Matthew H
(vision-quest) - F - M

Locale: Portland, Oregon
One on 07/09/2014 21:47:42 MDT Print View

Just one: Enlightened Equipment Revelation Pro (20 degrees).

If it's too warm I can just stick my feet out. Or if it's too cold, just layer up. Quilts <3

Edited by vision-quest on 07/09/2014 21:49:21 MDT.

Joe Lynch
(rushfan) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
1 bag on 07/09/2014 22:46:27 MDT Print View

Montbell SSL 30. I don't winter camp much but can get down to 15 degrees by stuffing my Montbell into my wife's Western Mountaineering Megalite bag-she doesn't winter camp. On warm nights I open the Montbell and use it as a quilt.

Serge G.
(sgiachetti) - M

Locale: Boulder, CO
katabatic on 07/10/2014 06:15:51 MDT Print View

I do most of my backpacking in the colorado rockies during the warmer 3 seasons, but I backpack in utah 2-3 times a year, and montana whenever I can.

I own two quilts:

katabatic sawatch 15 degree long regular
I've slept in this quilt many nights and always been happy with it. Its about the warmest I can imagine a one and a half pound bag/quilt could be. I've had it to below 0 with some cloths.

katabatic chisos 40 degree long regular with an oz of overfill
I love this one too, and with a good ground pad I can use it for about 6 months a year

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Dang on 07/10/2014 06:43:43 MDT Print View

Everyone needs to read and re-read Matthew H's answer, including myself...

Pete Staehling
(staehpj1) - F
Too many on 07/10/2014 08:31:44 MDT Print View

I only have two that I actually use, but I couldn't tell you how many I have that I generally no longer use. It is quite a few though.

95% of the time I use my Mountain Hardwear Phantom 45. In hot weather I sleep outside of it and pull it partially over me as the temperature drops. All zipped up, with a layer of clothing, two pairs of socks, and the drawstring tight I have been fine down into the mid teens F.

I use my North Face Cat's Meow mostly when camping in the same tent with my daughter who is allergic to down.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: How many sleeping bags do you own? on 07/10/2014 08:37:42 MDT Print View

For PNW 3 season, three. I have a Moonstone 32f synthetic mummy and a Mountain Hardware Lamina 20.

I also have a Therm-a-Rest Tech Blanket for hot weather, but I use more around the house as a throw. It isn't freaky light, but it does pack small and that is a niche that I want to fill for my summer stuff: a light quilt that is about a pound and packs small. I can use that in my hammock or for ground and I can tip my kit to the SUL side when I want.

The only thing that stops me is the cost will equal the rest of my kit. That's an UL gear phenomenon that I call bracketing: you can get to certain levels of weight and performance relatively inexpensively and then you run into a wall--- and the next level is VERY expensive. Sleeping insulation is the best example of this issue. Rain gear can be that way too. Crossing the line to Cuben tarps tends to raise my eyebrows as well.

Jake S
(spags) - M
re: how many on 07/10/2014 09:07:10 MDT Print View

I've never need more than one.

I have two.